4.3.2 to 4.3.3 update?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by donatello rage, Aug 1, 2011.

1. donatello rage macrumors newbie

Is there any possible way to update my iPad to 4.3.3 from 4.3.2 so I can jailbreak it. Can I just download 4.3.3 update and install it? I keep reading about how I need blobs what are they and why do I need them to update my os?

2. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

the shsh blob is a hash key which is based on the firmware (iOS) version and chip id on your ipad. the shsh is used by itunes to validate your ipad when when you attempt to restore (reload) the firmware on your ipad.

the reason why saving the shsh blob is important is because in the absence of a saved shsh blob, you are dependent on whatever iOS version is currently available for download (this is called signing) from the apple servers. iow, saving the shsh blob is what allows you to restore to a specific version of firmware and this is very important from a jailbreak perspective because most software based jailbreak exploits generally will only work on certain iOS versions.

the current 'jailbreakme' jailbreak requires iOS 4.3.3 for it to work but 4.3.3 is no longer available for download from apple. this means that if you didn't didn't save your 4.3.3 shsh blob when it was available, if you ever need to restore your ipad, you won't have any choice but to load whatever (newer) iOS version is being signed by apple, thus losing your ability to jailbreak the device again using the earlier exploit.

3. donatello rage thread starter macrumors newbie

So should I upgrade to the newest os?

Also even if I don't have the shsh blobs isn't that there just in case ur iPad crashes so u can downgrade?

4. aeneid macrumors member

You can try this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1188246&highlight=

if you are willing to risk it. I tried that (seeing as how I posted it) I never went to confirm it but I guess you can try it if you want. Should work for all. Just note you have to download the firmware from an external source or somewhere that supplies the official firmware that you want. Let me know what you think.

5. odontalsurgeon macrumors newbie

If your device has been jailbroken, log into Cydia. You should see the SHSH available to you listed in the main screen. See if 4.3.3 is on there. If so, turn on Tinyumbrella 5.0.0.8 and go to advanced, tick "save SHSH from cydia" and unclick "set Hosts to Cydia on Exit (if you need a clean restore from apple uncheck this box)".
    Press "Save SHSH", I have "update iPhone 4 baseband" ticked but that's because my phone is not locked.
    Once you save SHSH, you should see 4.3.3 on your SHSH list.
    Press "start TSS SERVER", set your device to DFU mode (don't use any jailbreak software to do that). Go into iTunes (it would ask to check the latest software, say "check". You should see restore, hold onto ALT and click "RESTORE" and select your 4.3.3 firmware.
    It took me a day to figure this one out!

6. richardp2020 macrumors newbie

I'm confused, why do you need to update to 4.3.3. Why can't you just use redsn0w on your current 4.3.2 fw?

7. donatello rage thread starter macrumors newbie

cuz i have an ipad 2....apparently doesn't work