Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Hi all, wondering if anyone else had this issue. After new update to Apple TV, I have no sound at all.

Tried unplugging and all that, even tried a different HDMI cable.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Hi all, wondering if anyone else had this issue. After new update to Apple TV, I have no sound at all.

Tried unplugging and all that, even tried a different HDMI cable.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

This issue occurred to me one time after updating 4.3, but not immediately. All I did was put it to sleep and then wake it back up and it resolved by itself.

But seeing as you power cycled it, that should have worked....really odd. I bet Apple will release a 4.3.1 for :apple:TV soon to remedy this.

flyro

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Texas
Similar Issue

I ran the new update last night, but now I have issues playing video files from iTunes. Sticky playback with no audio. These are m4v files which I have previously played on Apple TV. Put it to sleep and the issue is no better today. After a power reset the problem is still present.

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
I also lost sound after the upgrade. Tried changing cables, restored it, sleep, power cycle, all no good.

The atv is connected to the tv with HDMI and then tv digital audio out is connected to a digital receiver / amp. It used to work fine. PS3 is hooked up in exactly the same way and still works. The only thing that's changed is the atv software.

I can't figure out what the f@ck is wrong, it's really annoying!

Is it possible to downgrade it? I never got myself a micro-usb cable so don't have any 'blobs' for the previous firmware (if they're necessary?)...

awr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
thanks all for your input - i don't have cables either to do a factory reset.

i let the apple tv sleep for about 24 hrs, when i turned it back on, sound worked for about 3 seconds (menu sounds) then disappeared again . . .

If anybody who experienced this figures out a fix, please share!

quite annoying as we're now stuck with useless devices.

thanks in advance . . .

flyro

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Texas
Update

I'm connected to the TV with HDMI. Audio into a/v receiver with digital optical cable. All audio is good except through network from iTunes on my old Titanium Powerbook (used as a media server). Video playback from same source is "dodgy".
After digging through different forums today, I have learned that a reset within the ATV2 GUI will not work. It will force you to update to the newest version upon restart. The only, relatively easy option I found is to force the ATV2 into DFU mode.
Here's one link to a "How to": http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/10/25/how-to-put-apple-tv-2g-into-dfu-restore-mode/

I have yet to attempt this fix. If anyone has any luck or discovers an alternate, please post.
' luck.

awr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I'm connected to the TV with HDMI. Audio into a/v receiver with digital optical cable. All audio is good except through network from iTunes on my old Titanium Powerbook (used as a media server). Video playback from same source is "dodgy".
After digging through different forums today, I have learned that a reset within the ATV2 GUI will not work. It will force you to update to the newest version upon restart. The only, relatively easy option I found is to force the ATV2 into DFU mode.
Here's one link to a "How to": http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/10/25/how-to-put-apple-tv-2g-into-dfu-restore-mode/

I have yet to attempt this fix. If anyone has any luck or discovers an alternate, please post.
' luck.

This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know how to bring Apple TV OUT of recovery mode?

abnjunk

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Same issue

Updated to 4.3 yesterday. This morning no sound whatsoever. Unplugged everything, did a reset, the whole nine yards and still nothing. Hope there is a fix forthcoming.

flyro

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Texas
Updated to 4.3 yesterday. This morning no sound whatsoever. Unplugged everything, did a reset, the whole nine yards and still nothing. Hope there is a fix forthcoming.

According to a post in an apple support discussion; " This is because they most likely have a Dolby Digital track and you have Dolby Digital passthru on. If you turn this off in the audio/video settings the ATV will use the first audio track which is aac and you will have audio.

Unfortunately this is not what is supposed to happen. A clear bug and missing QA on Apples part. In 4.2 this used to display an error until you played a file from itunes which has a DD track, then all was well. Now even if you play a file from iTunes with DD you still get no audio unless you tell it to ignore the DD track completely.

This really ***** since 95% of my content has multi channel DD and 2 channel AAC and I don't want to listen to movies in stereo.

I seriously doubt Apple will fix this soon though since they never bothered fixing the original bug. My guess is to just turn DD passthru to Auto and live with you ripped movies playing in stereo till iOS 5 and hopefully, hopefully they will have added a DD playback device playing a ripped movie with DD to their QA process.".

I'm not sure about this as my Dolby is already set to "Auto".
BTW, You find this under:
"Settings"
"Audio & Video"
"Dolby Digital Out"

Good luck.

Last edited:

flyro

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Texas
I just tried the "Dolby fix"...no love there. I was already set to "Auto", but changed the setting to "Off". I still get a "burst" of audio from the file every four seconds.

Last edited:

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
That is very interesting.

I have 2 ATV2's.

The one in Living room is connected to A/V Reciever via HDMI. All my encodes(done on HB) have both 5.1 and AAC. They play with Dolby Digital 5.1 just fine. (Second track)

The one in the bedroom, however is just connected to the TV via HDMI. So all the encodes have always played the AAC(First track).

However last night the first time I fired up a movie in the bedroom. Movie plays no sound at all. Put ATV to sleep, brign back. no sound. Turned TV off and back on and it seemed to resync the HDMI handshake.

awr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
still without audio - dolby was already set to "auto". tried switching to "on", "off,", and "auto" again, still just get the 4 sec burst of audio then nothing . . . .

restored my apple TV today to no avail . . .

man this sucks.

thanks everyone for your input - hopefully they/we will figure this out soon.

joeydog

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
Video issue as well

I'm having the same audio problem, but also having an issue where one movie will only play from the begining. If you try to scrub forward and start it, it will play for 1/2 a second and then pause. Anyone have that as well.

fbeard

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Same Audio Problem with Upgrade

I'm hooked up like several others here. I have two HDMI ports on my HP TV, a Cox box in one and the Apple TV in the other. Audio passthrough for the Apple TV worked fine and played through my home theatre system...until I ran the 4.2 upgrade earlier today. Now the only audio I get from the Apple TV is through the HP's speakers. Same thing occurs if I swap the Cox box and the Apple TV's HDMI ports. So it's obviously the Apple TV.

This is really disappointing. Who wants to listen to their iTunes library or rent a movie with only the TV speakers for audio? Hopefully there will be a fix for this. This problem has got to kill iTunes rentals.

flyro

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Texas
I'm hooked up like several others here. I have two HDMI ports on my HP TV, a Cox box in one and the Apple TV in the other. Audio passthrough for the Apple TV worked fine and played through my home theatre system...until I ran the 4.2 upgrade earlier today. Now the only audio I get from the Apple TV is through the HP's speakers. Same thing occurs if I swap the Cox box and the Apple TV's HDMI ports. So it's obviously the Apple TV.

This is really disappointing. Who wants to listen to their iTunes library or rent a movie with only the TV speakers for audio? Hopefully there will be a fix for this. This problem has got to kill iTunes rentals.

Sorry to hear this. I went in and checked just now. Music from iTunes is fine. Netflix is good and I rented a film through ATV and audio was good there also. So for me, it's only streaming audio of MPEG-4 Video files from my old G4 Macbook and /or my 17" Macbook Pro. NOTE: Other M4V files on the Macbook Pro play fine. It only seems to be files that were converted using "Wondershare" that are affected. However, they did play BEFORE the update.

Last edited:

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK

Same here- I get sound through the TV but it no longer passes through to the amp. Considering taking it back to an apple store to see if they'll swap it for one without the new software...

fbeard

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Audio Problem

Hi Declandio,

Let us know if you have any luck with that. It'd also be nice to know if Apple recognizes a problem with the upgrade.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I didn't read all the posts, but here's what happened for me.
Upgraded my own Apple TV 2 (to iOS 4.3). NO problems with sounds.
Upgraded a client's Apple TV 2 (to iOS 4.3). Went completely silent.

Before panicking thoroughly, I went into his TV's HDMI settings and found audio set to analog. I switched it to digital (with fingers crossed) and I have sound again.

awr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I didn't read all the posts, but here's what happened for me.
Upgraded my own Apple TV 2 (to iOS 4.3). NO problems with sounds.
Upgraded a client's Apple TV 2 (to iOS 4.3). Went completely silent.

Before panicking thoroughly, I went into his TV's HDMI settings and found audio set to analog. I switched it to digital (with fingers crossed) and I have sound again.

Thanks for your input - I checked and unfortunately my TV doesn't have those HDMI setting options . . . so basically the Apple TV sound plays through my TV, but won't pass through to my reciever. (my reciever has no HDMI inputs)

Anyone know if they're working on a fix for this or if we're just stuck?

Unrelated question: if I bought my apple TV at an apple store, do I need the reciept to return it? Can this issue justify swapping out for a new one (in Apple's eyes)? I figure maybe I can get my hands on a new unit that hasn't had this update yet . . .

Thanks again in advance . .

chille

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
I can't seem to get a handle on this.
Since the 4.3 update, none of my m4v-files that i have converted from mkv with MKVtools using passthru on the h264 video and audio converted to AAC 5.1 work.

But just now, I converted a mkv file (h264/AC3 5.1) using passthru on both video and audio, and it WORKS!

Initially, when I first bought my ATV2, AC3 audio seemed to worked just fine. But after the first update, it didn't, and I had to convert all files to user AAC 5.1.

Someone who has any idea what's going on? Which audio codec should I use?! Is ATV2 supposed to support AC3 at all?

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
Hi Declandio,

Let us know if you have any luck with that. It'd also be nice to know if Apple recognizes a problem with the upgrade.

I will let you know. I went through the motions and called apple support, they told me to restore etc and asked a bunch of questions. I told them I had restored a few times, from within the on-screen menu and then via iTunes, with no success. They ran out of suggestions and had to book me an appointment with a 'genius'. I'm 99% sure the genius will replace it without too much resistance.

Unfortunately, the nearest appointment that was convenient for me (too busy at work this week to be able to skive off to the apple store) is on Saturday, so I'll post back once I've come back from the apple store.

The tech guy on the phone said that it usually takes up to 3 months for new products on the shelves (or refurbs) to be preloaded with the latest firmware, so the chance of getting an exchanged unit with old firmware are pretty high. He also took details about my tv (including firmware version), AV receiver and my chosen connections. He said that info would be fed back to the product engineers so that they can look into it.

If they weren't such control freaks, I could downgrade the software myself at home and they wouldn't have to swap the unit. Silly f@ckers. If only I had a micro-USB cable, I could have saved the ssh blobs, downgrade the software, and they wouldn't have to replace the unit or even deal with me over the phone. I only managed to get a cable last night and by then, apple was no longer signing blobs (or however you phrase that) for the previous software version.

I asked the tech support guy if they've had many calls about this. He said they've received a few but not 'a lot'. Call them if you have this problem so they know that it's real and not just a small handful of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.