4.3/4.31 slide to unlock flaky

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aphexacid, Apr 10, 2011.

1. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I upgraded my iPhone 4 from 4.01 to 4.3 when it came out, and among other issues, the most maddening for me was the fact that slide to unlocked won't register like 1 in like 5 attempts.
    I went back to 4.01 and sat there locking and unlocking like 30 times in a row, it it was perfect each time.

Then I tried 4.31 and it was the same crap.

Also, I updated my friends 3GS to 4.31+ JB the other day, and he called me complaining about the same thing.

I asked around and a few others have mentioned this annoyance.

But how many have this issue? What's the deal?

2. richard371 macrumors 68000

3. Formula1freak macrumors member

Formula1freak

Also have this issue, its almost as if my finger doesn't register the entire swipe across the screen and moves back to the far left again. Its a very strange bug.

4. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

I've had the same problem and though that it was the JB. But I now think that it may be 4.3.1 related. I'll stick with it a couple of more days then i'll decide if I downgrade.

5. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

My fiancée has 4.21 on hers, so it definitely began with 4.3. It's very annoying especially if you check your phone a lot like I do.

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Wow this whole time I had thought my phone was being weird the last few weeks. Good to know its software. I thought the touch screen was dying.

7. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Yeah it will be like:

Wake up screen with either home button or power button, swipe your finger....nothing. Swipe again, then it slides.
    This happens about 1 in 4 attempts.

8. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

I'm seeing the same thing on my 3GS. Not always, but it sometimes takes multiple swipes to get past the lock screen since the latest update. Weird.

9. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Exact same thing for me, and like others I thought it was a 'perk' of jailbreaking. Be glad to see whether 4.3.2 fixes it. I came from 4.1 before, so may go back if I need to as it does annoy me, and 4.3.1 hasn't offered a whole lot more functionality.

10. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Judging by the small amount of members responding, i'm guessing most don't even notice it. Which is unfortunate, because i'm sure apple needs a horde of angry customers before they pay attention.

every iphone i've seen on 4.3/4.31 has this problem :(

11. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Hasn't given me anything good, crap slide to unlock and an even crapper battery!

Who the **** tests these IOS's before they're released, they need a slap!

12. Terrified macrumors regular

I experienced this yesterday for the first time.

If it happens, hit the sleep button to switch off the screen and then turn it back on. Should be fine after that.

13. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan, don't even get me started!

If they didnt half ass the testing constantly, i can almost guarantee you we'd have a completely different phone altogether.

14. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

You seem to be having a more complicated problem than what i'm talking about it you need to switch the screen on and off multiple times.

I'm just talking about it not registering your first swipe.

15. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Yeah, mine is seems to just be the first swipe too. At first I thought I was just missing the slider bar, but now it's too often, and i've watched it happen too.

16. Steve99 macrumors member

The slider drove me crazy in 4.3.1 - one in 5 times or so it would ignore the first slide if I was trying to do it quickly. The entire phone seemed laggy.

So I am back to 4.2.1.

17. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

......I thought it was just my finger not sliding straight across and missing the button but obviously this is not the case!

I'm also getting this (I'm on 4.3.1) and yea, seems to happen every 1 in 4 or 5 swipes. TBH - I've also experienced this when a call comes in. My phone will be ringing and the first 'swipe to answer' does nothing - I have to swipe multiple times to answer the call.

Can't actually remember if this was the same in 4.2.1 but I'm definitely getting it now.....

18. jayenh macrumors 6502

i could be wrong, but i believe its a change to how the swipe registers. if your finger moves away from the slider it will ignore your finger. i'm pretty sure it didn't do this previously. eg, if you placed your finger on the slider and slid your finger to the right while also moving slightly upwards and away from the "track" then the slider would continue to move. now if your finger leaves the "track" it resets the slider and stops registering your finger. you just have to be more accurate with your swipes... still annoying though

19. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

I think you are spot on there with your description!!;) When I slide, its always with my thumb. If I think about it now, there is a very slight upwards movement of my thumb (kinda like an arc as opposed to a straight across swipe) so thats probably my problem!

As you rightly pointed out - gonna have to make sure my thumb is dead accurate on the 'track' as you put it! :)

20. Archer13 macrumors newbie

21. Steve99 macrumors member

The problem I had was not finger related. 1 in 5 times or so when waking the phone up with the home button the first swipe is not registered by the phone at all. I believe the touchscreen driver isn't registering any input when this happens. Its like the phone was busy doing something else and took additional time to fully wake up and accept commands, or the processor speed was really ramped down and takes too long to come back up.
    If I was to wait an additional second before swiping it would always be fine. After it did register the swipe I could also detect the drawing of the home screen and icons was not as smooth as normal, the unlock sound was also delayed.

I guess it would be fine to have to wait a little if my phone was like that since day 1 but with 4.2.1 it was never like that.