4.3 brought backq proximity sensor issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zer0cool2011, Mar 13, 2011.

1. zer0cool2011 macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 originally had occasional issues with the proximity sensor that were resolved in IOS updates.
    However, since installing 4.3 those issues have returned. On a single call today's, my phone: switched to speaker, muted itself, tried to place a FaceTime call, switched back to speaker three more times, and muted again, all in about 5 minutes before I just gave up and used it in speakerphone mode.
    Anyone else having this issue.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I made several calls on mine today, and no problems at all.

3. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I originally had the problem, until the update where they fixed it (i can't remember which one). I haven't had any proximity issues since, even after this latest update.

5. MrCatMan macrumors member

Argggh. Me too. The phone is unusable as a phone again. Last update fixed it at long last, 4.3 and I'm back to dialling out with my ear.

Help appreciated.

6. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

With this latest update 4.3 my proximity sensor has been horrible...not working at all...before the initial fix I had NO problems and after the summer update that "fixed it" the sensor would shut off the screen if my hand eclipsed it...now my screen stays on when completely covered with a pillow...4.3 is full of bugs!

7. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Yes it's broken by 4.3 it does not even glow red anymore...hopefully I can get to an Apple store for an exchange before this is a known issue

8. Reefbone macrumors regular

9. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

Works as crappy as the prior software. It's in your head. Every iPhone 4 has crappy proximity sensors regardless of software that i've came in contact with.

10. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Same as it ever was for me. Just tested it by holding my thumb above it.. about a quarter to half an inch away and the screen goes dark instantly. Never was an issue for me, though. My iPhone 4 is from launch, pre-ordered and got it a day early etc.

11. Maziar macrumors 6502

No problem with mine either. (before 4.2.1 though, I had issues with PS)

12. alex9400 macrumors newbie

No issues here going from 4.21 to 4.3. But still super slow in general after the 3-> 4 update

13. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Here yay, here yay. (or however you say it)

First, the issue was never fixed as it's a hardware issue, so unless your phone was redesigned which i'm sure it wasn't the problem will not go away. But then again this is an Apple product so there is a legit reason out there on MR somewhere as to why it's okay. Sales figures show there is no problem with this phone so your claim is denied!

14. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

do you really smush your phone against your face when you talk? i haven't had any problems with it, and i made a few calls today.

15. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

The issue is real...and it's controlled by software...mine doesen't even glow red anymore...like it's off