4:3 external display and 15.4" laptop display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aiterum, Jan 11, 2008.

1. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

I am currently in the boat waiting for the Penryn upgraded MBPs. However, I had a question about using an external display with the laptop.

Currently I have a 19" monitor that I purchased not too long ago for use with my desktop. I would like to continue using this monitor when I purchase my laptop, and I plan on running my laptop on my desk closed, hooked up to this monitor.

However, when I want to take my computer somewhere (using the portability function of the laptop), what will happen with the display.

The question that I am asking is basically, that my external display isn't widescreen, but the MBP display is. How does the transition work when I am switching from one to the other? Is there some way to run the laptop display in 4:3, or vice versa, run the external monitor in a widescreen resolution, or should I just simply remove my external monitor from the equation? I've not actually had any personal experience using a widescreen monitor/display, so I am unsure about how these things work. I really don't want to have one of the resolutions stretched in or squished when I switch between the two.

Thoughts?

2. mrtune macrumors 6502a

It should just run the external at it's native resolution if you're running in extended desktop mode. When I hook up my 20" it runs at it's native resolution no problem which is much higher than the 13" on my macbook.

3. aiterum thread starter macrumors 6502

aiterum

I'm not sure that the really answers my question

first of all, the MB isn't widescreen, so it's a simple case of scaling down when I switch to the MB. I'm not planning on running both at once, but rather only one or the other at a time. The question I am asking is there any way to preserve the resolutions or something when I switch between one being widescreen and one being a 4:3 monitor. (So I don't have to like change wallpapers each time or resolutions every time I switch between one or the other)

4. jeff3221 macrumors regular

i have a macbook with a 4:3 display. When I plug the mb in the monitor in clamshell mode, the monitor is in fullscreen and is fine. When I unplug the monitor and use the macbook, it is widescreen and fine. I hope that answers your question.

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

The screen on the macbook is widescreen and runs natively at 1280x800. If I switch it to a 4:3 resolution like 1024x786 it will have black bars on the side.

When I run in extended mode, it will recognize both monitors separately and run them with different resolutions. My 20" is a widescreen monitor. So the macbook runs at it's native 1280x800 and my other monitor runs at 1680x1050. Each can have it's own background.

I have run in lid closed mode before utilizing only the big monitor. It will still run at 1680x1050. It should be no different with a non-widescreen monitor. OSX should be able to detect whatever monitor you are using and give you the correct resolution settings to pic from.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Not sure what you are worried about. OS X is smart enough to detect the native resolution of the external screen and to run it at that resolution in extended desktop mode or as one display. Switching between built-in display and external is no problem.

Oh and my the way, Apple stopped selling their last non-wide screen display in spring 2006 (when they replaced iBooks with MacBooks). MacBook has a 16:10 display, like on every monitor Apple sells now.

7. aiterum thread starter macrumors 6502

aiterum

I haven't used OSX with anything other than an iBook G3 12," so I am not very familiar with how it handles things like these.

Also I wasn't aware of the MB widescreen specifications (my bad). I haven't been looking at the MB, so I haven't really paid any attention to the screen specifications on it.