Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yangtw76

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
which one?

Which one do I need to use for Apple Tv2, redsn0w 0.9.6rc9 or PwnageTool?
Both requires IPSW, I am having hard time to find that, please help..

giaotze

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
I am having problem with this patch. After I JB, the NitoTV won't install any package. Anything I clicked to install says "Couldn't find package...."
Is it just me or anyone else having the same issue?

Thanks

Frankydan100

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
Birmingham UK
I may wait for the untethered seasonpass JB.

Only got my appleTV today, still boxed as I' at work :(

The untethered really doesnt bother me at all as I never have the need to switch it off, its always plugged in. If you do have to turn it off though it takes a couple of minutes to boot tethered.

Im sure firecore will be releasing an untethered version pretty soon though.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
You need to use PwnageTool to jailbreak the :apple:TV2. I did it this morning and had no problems. Happily running Plex 0.7beta6 without the need to tethered reboot every time a bug rears its head.

giaotze

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
You need to use PwnageTool to jailbreak the :apple:TV2. I did it this morning and had no problems. Happily running Plex 0.7beta6 without the need to tethered reboot every time a bug rears its head.

Hey OmegaRed

Good to heard that you got it to work. I did use pwnage tool as well. I think I know how to use it 'cause i have been jailbreak my iphone with pwnage tool over the year. I actually had no problem over the jailbreaking process. The problem happens when I try to use NitoTV to install the XBMC... It just gives me the error message that " Couldn't find package XXXX" Had that happened to you? or what did you do differently?

Thanks man

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
Hey OmegaRed

Good to heard that you got it to work. I did use pwnage tool as well. I think I know how to use it 'cause i have been jailbreak my iphone with pwnage tool over the year. I actually had no problem over the jailbreaking process. The problem happens when I try to use NitoTV to install the XBMC... It just gives me the error message that " Couldn't find package XXXX" Had that happened to you? or what did you do differently?

Thanks man

There is a source that's missing apparently. Using Terminal, add sauriks package:

Code:
echo "deb http://apt.saurik.com/ tangelo-3.7 main">/etc/apt/sources.list.d/saurik.list

After that, type:

Code:
apt-get update

Then, type:

Code:
apt-get -f install

And, finally, type:

Code:
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

That should get you up and running

yangtw76

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
where can i get the ipsw?

i don't find ipsw in itunes anymore..
where do you find that?

ggreenw

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
There is a source that's missing apparently. Using Terminal, add sauriks package:

Code:
echo "deb http://apt.saurik.com/ tangelo-3.7 main">/etc/apt/sources.list.d/saurik.list

After that, type:

Code:
apt-get update

Then, type:

Code:
apt-get -f install

And, finally, type:

Code:
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

That should get you up and running

So do I do this in SSH after I jailbreak, or is it something that you have to do to PwnageTool?

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
So do I do this in SSH after I jailbreak, or is it something that you have to do to PwnageTool?

Hint: You can't add a repository to a device before it's been jailbroken.;)

Give up? After you've jailbroken the :apple:TV2 with PwnageTool you ssh into it via Terminal at root@xxx.xxx.xxx (x's being your :apple:TV IP address). Then you enter the above code and XBMC should install.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
U guys know if XBMC is now compatible with 4.3.1?

Yes. After installing and jailbreaking 4.3.1 (called 4.2.1 on the ATV), you can try to install XBMC from the NitoTV screen. If you get an error that org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock is broken, follow the steps listed on this post to get XBMC to install.

giaotze

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Okay now I get XBMC install and icefilm installed. However, when I play any film from icefilm, I have no sound... Is that common?

Thanks

Phokus

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Is pwnage tool coming out for windows? Seasonpass doesn't work for me... can't jailbreak the ATV2 :(

JBG87

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
che use sn0wbreeze its for windows and does the new jb

on the other hand can someone explain to me this is my first jailbreak of any apple product so im new...i did it successfully i got nito on my apple tv...but none of the downloads work i see what omega posted but i dont understand what to do

do i open terminal on my mac and just type those commands?

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Managed to jailbreak.....finally and got nito tv installed!
But cant get xbmc to instal...has anyone found a complete idiots guide to installing it via terminal...a real hand holding guide. I've found afew guides but i cant even connect to my atv using the root command?

Superman Y2K

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2010
Okay now I get XBMC install and icefilm installed. However, when I play any film from icefilm, I have no sound... Is that common?

Thanks

Yes it seems everyone is having that issue using XBMC with the Pwange jailbreak. I had to rollback to 4.2.1 to get it up and going again.

Last edited:

Superman Y2K

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2010
Managed to jailbreak.....finally and got nito tv installed!
But cant get xbmc to instal...has anyone found a complete idiots guide to installing it via terminal...a real hand holding guide. I've found afew guides but i cant even connect to my atv using the root command?

Try in terminal: ssh root@ whatever your apple tv's ip address is and the default password is apline.

Then follow the above steps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.