4.3 makes the iPad's browser much, much better!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BruiserBear, Mar 6, 2011.

1. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

Not only does 4.3 make Safari on the original iPad much faster, it also seems to be making much better use of the original iPad's paltry 256mb of RAM!

I've been playing with 4.3 for a couple days now, and this morning I wondered what other improvements they made. I'm sure many of you have loaded up an image heavy web page, only to see the iPad's browser stop loading images at some point down the page. In place of the missing pics it would leave these little blue ? icons.

A few months ago I came across a particularly image heavy page showing the best pictures of 2010. I remembered the iPad Safari only loading about 3/4 of the images. Well, this morning I found that page again and to my surprise every single image loaded! I tried it again, and they all loaded a second time!

So it seems there are some substantial improvements in 4.3, and this really gives me one less reason to want the iPad 2, as I always figured the originals 256mb of memory were the reason for this picture problem. Apparently that was not then case, as it appears to have been fixed with a software update.

Here is a link to that photo thread I mentioned. Those of you still browsing on 4.2.1 can see how many of the pics load for you.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/12/2010_in_photos_part_1_of_3.html

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

3. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Are there any improvements over the refreshing problem?

Can you finally open all 8 tabs and switch between them without a refresh of the page?

4. Mark K macrumors newbie

8????

With 4.2, I couldn't open 2 tab's, check email, and still not have it reload.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'd love to know that as well.

That is the major reason I use Atomic on both my iPad and iPhone. That refreshing is super annoying.

6. BruiserBear thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I don't believe that is any different. I felt it got slightly better with the last update, but I think for that to get any better you're going to need that extra RAM the iPad 2 will provide.

7. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Agreed, the update to safari on the iPad in 4.3 didn't really have anything to do with the page refreshes with many tabs open. The update really focused on taking advantage of a new javascript engine to allow pages to load faster.

8. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I think the $65,000 question everyone wants to see answered: Does Safari refresh tabs that you return to browsing from other tabs? The browser loses context when you are looking at multiple pages, and this is the #1 most annoying thing about iPad, from what I understand.

Edit: Misread the last 2 posts.

9. xDKP macrumors 6502a

xDKP

I think it's faster, but no better with the tab-reloading-issue...

10. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

This is why I wont get the iPad 2 if it has 256mb ram.

It drives me completely insane having to wait 2-3 seconds every/ single/ time I want to switch over between tabs...

[​IMG]

11. BruiserBear thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think you have to worry about iPad 2 having 256mb of RAM. If the iPhone 4 got 512mb in June of 2010, I can't see any way they wouldn't put that much in the iPad 2 in March of 2011.

12. Nascar Dog macrumors newbie

No, switching tabs still sucks in Safari iOS 4.3
    There is a.99 cent app caled Atomic Web Browser that has a tab bar an switching between tabs takes you right back to where you were. Many other nice features as well.
    The only downside is that it is slower than Safari on iOS 4.3

13. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Yet faster than Atomic on 4.2, and that's before Atomic release an upgrade...

14. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

So if Atomic works great, doesn't that simply show that the issue with browsing isn't Ram related directly? Or it's an issue of Safari not using the memory properly? Basically is it feasible that Safari on iPad 2 with more Ram could still have the refreshing issues?

15. iserian macrumors 6502

Without refreshing fixed its still a pita. I am loving the tab support on my xoom shame apple can't get the browser right in 4.3.

16. Zcott macrumors 68020

17. Gryzor macrumors 6502

You go ahead and love your Xoom. The rest of us will enjoy more than adequate browsing and a plethora of great apps.

18. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Luckily we have multiple options for browsers. We aren't forced to use Safari. I'm hoping it gets better, but I'm completely happy with Atomic.

19. WilliamG macrumors 604

Interesting news. FYI you couldn't load the Boston Globe photos completely on an iPhone 4, either.

20. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I am using iCab browser, I constantly have 7-8 tabs open with no slowdowns. The best solution to the sluggish Safari browser would be to download Atomic or iCab, they aren't expensive either.

21. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Now if only the Xoom would fix their crappy tap to zoom in their browser. I still prefer to browse on my iPad 1 then the Xoom.

22. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

To be honest, I see no difference in speed using the GM release in Safari performance. It may be there, I just don't see it.

23. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

This is actually pretty interesting. I can't try that link on my iPad because I sold it in anticipation of the new one, but my iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 had no trouble with that link. I wouldn't think it would be a ram thing though because if you have no other apps in the background, the iPad should be able to handle it

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Hope they fixed the YouTube<->Safari bug (where you follow a web page link to YouTube and when you return to Safari, it is masked out white).