4:3 Resolution on my 24" iMac in XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by leeofwestover, Feb 2, 2010.

1. leeofwestover macrumors newbie

I would really like to be able to select a 4:3 resolution like 1600x1200 in Windows XP and for it to work with pillarboxes on the side, like it does in OSX. Instead of stretching it out to fill the full screen. I have tried going into the advanced options for the video card and trying out each resolution at different refresh rates, but the result remains the same.

BTW...if it makes any difference I am using windows xp professional with service pack three and my video card is an Radeon HD4850.

Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

Lee Keller

2. valvehead macrumors regular

I don't know about ATI, but the nvidia control panel has an option to turn off scaling for non-native resolutions. You might look in ATI's control panel to see if there is a similar option.

3. leeofwestover thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish...

While running Windows using boot camp I am forbidden to install the ATI Catalyst Control Program nor am I able to download the updated drivers for my video card. Is there any way to get around this....and if there is, is it safe?

4. valvehead macrumors regular

That's unfortunate. Someone else with ATI experience will have to give you pointers on installing drivers (I'm using nvidia).