4.3 Verizon day or iPad 2 day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xcel360, Jan 8, 2011.

1. xcel360 macrumors regular

So since the Verizon iPhone press event is a "Verizon" event is it safe to say that Apple will announce iOS 4.3 at the iPad 2 press event in Feb? I figured when the iPhone finally goes to Verizon the would ship it with a newer iOS for all iPhones.

Thoughts?

2. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

I hope so, but the Feb. event is unconfirmed still, right?

3. JCCL macrumors 6502a

If they new Verizon iPhone is announced on Tuesday, guess it would be a safe bet to guess that a new firmware will be released in order to work with the new device....to include support for the CDMA, LTE or whatever radios they're including with it.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, but carrier firmware is independent from the iOS version. My phone has the firmware "AT&T 9.0" on it. Someone in another country would have something else, but we'd both have iOS 4.2.

The Verizon phone would have different carrier firmware but could still ship with the current 4.2.

5. NathanA, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

NathanA macrumors 6502a

That "AT&T 9.0" that you see is NOT "firmware." Firmware is executable/binary code. That carrier file is just a PLIST with configuration information about the carrier you're on.

The differences between GSM/UMTS and CDMA/EVDO radio interfaces are so vast that it will DEFINITELY require an OS update, especially to deal with the new hardware that will be required to talk to Verizon's network.

-- Nathan

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

im guessing 4.2.2 and it will contain bug fixes (the alarm thing and other little things) and support for the verizon iphone. 4.3 wont come because there have been no betas and i dont think a 4.x update is necessary for a new carrier. 4.3 will come with the new ipad when it ships in the next 2-3 months. then that will be the last update to ios 4 and apple will have the ios 5 event in april.

Actually now that i think about it. How about ios5 event late march or early april. Talks about ios 5 and announces new ipad. New ipad ships 2 weeks. 4.3 released that day. ios 5 beta to developers that day as well. This seems like something Apple would do imo. Unless the rumors are true and ipad event is in the next few weeks. Then it would be new ipad and and 4.3 maybe. Sorry to get off topic. It just came to me.

7. NathanA macrumors 6502a

4.2.2 instead of 4.3 for CDMA baseband support is a reasonable guess.

-- Nathan