4.30 Hours of battery time for my Macbook Pro? Normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Antidoll, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Antidoll macrumors regular

First of all I want to say THANK YOU so much for all you geniuses on this forum!

I had asked couple weeks ago for help upgrading my Macbook pro and now I can say I am the proud owner of a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB memory and an SSD!

It definitely boosted my Macbook performance!

----

Now I noticed that my Macbook Pro, FULLY charged at 100% doesn't give me more than 4:24 hours

Now mind you, my screen is usually maximum brightness, but I don't do anything beside use google Chrome and occasionally have Skype running in the background...

Anything I can do to improve it? (Btw my Macbook is late 2011)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life, and screen brightness is a major factor. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. teribithia macrumors member

teribithia

Compare to mine it is too normal.

After frequently use in 2 years my macbook battery only can last 3 hours :mad::mad:

4. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I have read that! I think my battery is normal, but how could I improve the performance? Lower the brightness? Replace it with a stronger battery?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't replace it with a stronger battery. Yes, lowering the brightness will help a lot. Read the section of the FAQ I mentioned in my last post for tips.

6. brdeveloper, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

When just reading PDFs I already downloaded, I turn off wi-fi. Wifi is a battery eater... if you have an ethernet cable nearby, use it. Also, decreasing screen brightness helps a lot. Skype will eat your battery when compressing and decompressing video while makes your wifi adapter work harder. Use Mavericks for saving around 5-10% battery life. Of course, turn off bluetooth.

There are more fine-grained tips and tricks like turning off some hardware tasks when not in use for a certain time. There are the mandatory ones like disabling the sudden motion sensor when you have a SSD. Also removing superdrive will make you save battery by not keeping the drive in standby (kidding).

I think 4h30 is pretty normal under the conditions you mentioned.

7. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I know there are other factors, but just putting this out there.

If battery life is a key concern, you should look at the Airs.