Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you switch to a 4.7" iPhone

• Yes

Votes: 75 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 46 25.3%

• Total voters

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Yes - I see that you agree with the pricing structure, I just was pointing out that we currently have about a 0.8" -1" size difference in iPhones vs typical Android devices and they sell for the same prices. So is this not a fair comparison? If it is - than why is comparing a 4.7" iPhone to a 5.5" Android. The only thing that makes a phablet a phablet is the screen size....

Well technically we are comparing 4.7" (iPhone) to 5.7" (Note 3).

I guess you are right. We are hypothetically looking at a scenario where the iPhone 6 at 4.7" will be $50 cheaper on-contract compared to the Nexus 6 off-contract. That's pretty alarming.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Well technically we are comparing 4.7" (iPhone) to 5.7" (Note 3).

I guess you are right. We are hypothetically looking at a scenario where the iPhone 6 at 4.7" will be $50 cheaper on-contract compared to the Nexus 6 off-contract. That's pretty alarming.

Ehh - The Note 3 is $50 cheaper on-contract than the Nexus 5.....again - don't see how these comparisons are all that shocking....

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Ehh - The Note 3 is $50 cheaper on-contract than the Nexus 5.....again - don't see how these comparisons are all that shocking....

Well I should be clear that I think most phones are outrageously priced off-contract. My next move most likely is to purchase a Nexus 5 and never sign a contract again.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Well I should be clear that I think most phones are outrageously priced off-contract. My next move most likely is to purchase a Nexus 5 and never sign a contract again.

Yup - I've said the same thing but as my bill on my current family plan really isn't all that crazy AND I have the benefit of 2 subsidies I can use, I really don't mind staying locked in.

When its all said and done, I sell my 1 year old device to more than pay for the on-contract new device each year. And my bill is only $85 for both my phone and iPad combined.

I suppose I could go for a pre-paid plan, but that would severely limit the choice I had in phone purchases. Sure I could save $30/month - but I'd be paying roughly $500 more for the same phone. Would take almost the full 24 months to take care of that.

Really, I'm not at all upset with where I am as far as carriers go. AT&T reported an 8% profit margin last quarter. I don't feel like they rip me off in the slightest.

Hence - if a 4.7" iPhone is released this year, I'll be all over it.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Yup - I've said the same thing but as my bill on my current family plan really isn't all that crazy AND I have the benefit of 2 subsidies I can use, I really don't mind staying locked in.

When its all said and done, I sell my 1 year old device to more than pay for the on-contract new device each year. And my bill is only $85 for both my phone and iPad combined.

I suppose I could go for a pre-paid plan, but that would severely limit the choice I had in phone purchases. Sure I could save $30/month - but I'd be paying roughly $500 more for the same phone. Would take almost the full 24 months to take care of that.

Really, I'm not at all upset with where I am as far as carriers go. AT&T reported an 8% profit margin last quarter. I don't feel like they rip me off in the slightest.

Hence - if a 4.7" iPhone is released this year, I'll be all over it.

Here's my scenario....

My grandfathered AT&T post-paid plan is 1000 texts/450 minutes/2 GB of data for roughly $82 a month. That includes taxes and surcharges.

I'm currently self-employed but that might change soon. If I land a new job and a FAN discount is offered, that changes everything. For example, if I can get a 20% FAN discount at AT&T I will just keep my current plan and stay post-paid.

Now if I don't land a FAN discount at say AT&T or Verizon, I'm going to make a change once my contract ends at AT&T. Right now I'm leaning towards going with AT&T's pre-paid offering GoPhone and their $60 a month plan. (Unlimited talk and text plus 2 GB of data a month.) I can afford to keep paying $82 a month but I personally just feel like it's too much. Especially when I could be getting more from the same carrier and paying $20 less a month.

I also would like to start supporting somebody offering a great phone at a great price off-contract.

If I have a FAN discount in my back pocket then signing a contract isn't a big deal because I'll be happy with what I'm paying per month. The only issue at that point is how AT&T handles unlocking phones. They won't unlock a hypothetical on-contract iPhone 6 that I purchase. I usually go to Italy once a year and prefer using a local SIM.

In the past I wouldn't think twice about signing a contract. But I don't feel that way anymore in part because there are some great phones available at enticing off-contract prices.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
No i won't i like Android, currently having the Nexus 5 but probably going to buy the Note 4.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Nope, I am very happy with my Nexus 5, I was a big advocate of smaller iPhone is better, I still think the iPhone 4 is the best smartphone design bar the stupid aerial, but since having the equally as nicely designed Nexus 5 in white I wouldn't go to a bigger iPhone with a smaller than 5" screen.

But then again I was not only sick of iOS7 but fed up with Apple's QC on the iPhone, the iPhone 4 I had suffered from known home button faults, the iPhone 5 I had suffered from known power button faults, not what I expect on a £630 phone, in contrast my £330 Nexus 5 is totally fine.

Last edited:

Voodoofreak

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2012
No, I personally liked the size of iPhone 4. I guess we are evolving towards flatter versions of Zack Morris phones from back in the day.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
If they got the sapphire crystal display that is practically unscratchable and solar charging, then Apple will have my attention with the iPhone 6.

But I prefer an "s" version for next year. Apple tends to focus more on hardware features and new design on an even numbered year. Then Apple focuses on software during an "s" year it seems and more internal refinements. I prefer having the stronger twin with a noticeable jump in iOS features. I think iOS8 wouldn't be much of a change. By next year, they can correct their errors. Solar power panel would be more refined by next year. The tock year is the better year to upgrade over the tick.

iPhone 6s with iOS9 by 2015. I can wait another year.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
I'm kind of excited about the next iPhone. If they can deliver a bigger screen, good bat life, and this sapphire screen, I think apple would win me back. I miss my apps. I like their build quality. Plus, with Google now not all in on hardware, I'm soft on the android ecosystem. I'll just use Google services on iOS. As it is now, the size and delicate construction of the 5s isn't enough for the price.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
+1 for the curved back. I hate the squarish build since iPhone 4.

I don't care for notification light though. Moto has already shown that android can have viable Lock screen notifications. As for the amoled requirement, I don't think that's needed much as iphones light up with notifications all the time and it doesn't hurt much despite the LCD.

Having used my Moto X for a couple days now, this would be a perfect size for the next iPhone. Easy to use in one hand, but a big enough screen to be useful. The active display negates the need for a notification LED, but I would like having the option for both. The shape of the back of the Moto X is also perfect.

I really, really like this phone. Might put my Nexus 5 and HTC One out to pasture. #

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'd love a 4.7" iPhone 6. I don't find my 5.2" G2 too big. It actually fits quite comfortably in the hand.

I do find it weird when you see guys, with huge hands or over 6'5" using a 4" iPhone. One of my 6'10" friends has one and it is one of the most awkward things I've ever seen. You could nearly put 2 iPhones in one of his hands. Lol.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Definitely. The only reason why I even switched to Android was because the screen on the iPhone was too small. I have big hands, so 4.7" screen would be perfect. I thought my Nexus 4 was the perfect size, just that the hardware, mainly the camera, was crap. The iPhone is known for having a really good camera, so I would be good there. Plus, the compatibility with the rest of my Apple devices, and with my friends that also have iPhones, a bigger iPhone would definitely bring me back.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Regarding to this interview, I don't think we will see an iPhone with a bigger screen at least this year.

WSJ:*People want a bigger screen iPhone. Are you against that?
Cook:*What we’ve said is that until the technology is ready, we don’t want to cross that line. That doesn’t say we’ll never do it. We want to give our customers what’s right in all respects – not just the size but in the resolution, in the clarity, in the contrast, in the reliability. There are many different parameters to measure a display and we care about all those, because we know that’s the window to the software.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-DGB-32697

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Regarding to this interview, I don't think we will see an iPhone with a bigger screen at least this year.

WSJ:*People want a bigger screen iPhone. Are you against that?
Cook:*What we’ve said is that until the technology is ready, we don’t want to cross that line. That doesn’t say we’ll never do it. We want to give our customers what’s right in all respects – not just the size but in the resolution, in the clarity, in the contrast, in the reliability. There are many different parameters to measure a display and we care about all those, because we know that’s the window to the software.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-DGB-32697

"When the technology is ready"? Has Tim Cook been living under a rock? Bigger screens and higher resolutions are nothing new. The technology is here, it's ready, stop making excuses Tim!

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
"When the technology is ready"? Has Tim Cook been living under a rock? Bigger screens and higher resolutions are nothing new. The technology is here, it's ready, stop making excuses Tim!

His quote is nonsense. It's not the first time he said it recently. After owning the iPhone 5 since launch it hit me after a few months that a larger model should have been in the lineup already. Moving onto the S4 was a revelation with respect to screen size.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
His quote is nonsense. It's not the first time he said it recently. After owning the iPhone 5 since launch it hit me after a few months that a larger model should have been in the lineup already. Moving onto the S4 was a revelation with respect to screen size.

Ahh because it did hit you, Apple will release an IPhone with a larger screen.
Didn't know that, now I am sure we will see it this year.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
For myself I pry wouldn't. If this was a few years ago then most likely, but it's not about screen size anymore, Android has become such a smooth and nice "finished" OS vs before. I'm so used to Android now and flashing a Rom I like and tweaking the phone to what I want (even jailbreaking our iphones isn't really the same). Plus no problems synching with my Macs.

On the other hand I'm also not a fan of giganto phones, I love the size of my SII and really anything over 5" not a fan of but I'll pry still get the S5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.