4.7" Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by JaySoul, Jul 14, 2014.

1. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Rumours circulating today that in the next 6 weeks, Samsung will release the so-called Galaxy Alpha.

Allegedly, it will be a 4.7" metal-clad high spec phone to kill off the iPhone 6 before it even launches.

Thoughts?

2. SpoonCody macrumors 6502

Sounds like Samsung's M.O. I'm withholding judgements, but I guess people that have been clamoring for a more premium feeling Galaxy S device will now have it.

The screen size could work really well too for those who think the current S5 is too big. And if they can retain the water/dust proofing, they might give it an edge.

3. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

I guess Sammy is getting the message that people want smaller phones that still have good specs. I'm more of a phablet person but I can see people that would like this.

4. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

I wouldn't call it an iPhone killer just yet, the new iPhone 6 will sell by the bucket-loads just because there are a lot of people ready to upgrade and will stick with the ecosystem. They're probably willing to wait for it too, rather than jump ship just for an extra month or 2 on a totally new ecosystem.

Now, is it just me who thinks Samsung don't really have a plan of action for the direction of their phones? To me, it seems like they have released every sized phone under the sun in a scatter-gun approach just to see what sticks, and then taken it from there.

Alex

5. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

That is their plan of action. Some don't like it, while others see it as having options

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Whatever, typical Samsung MO, don't find it intriguing in the slightest.

While I'm not a fan of Samsung's hardware design/aesthetics, my bigger problem with their devices is related to their software and user experience. I'd take a wholly revamped Samsung UI on their current plastic builds over their current TW skinned monstrosity on a new metal phone every time.

I won't consider another Samsung device, regardless of how great the build materials and hardware is until they fix their UI.

7. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

Case in point: I went on to their website months ago to see if there was a small, cheap android phone for me to take on my travels. One that if I lost it, dropped it in some beer or accidentally took with me in my swim trunks, then I wouldn't be bothered about buying another one. I found 4 (FOUR!) all with a similar function. I didn't get one in the end, due to indecision on my part and there being too many options. To me, it says 'lack of focus'. But each to their own.

Alex

8. SpoonCody macrumors 6502

That's how I feel.

Lately, I've been on the fence, and really on the verge to make Android my daily driver. Currently, my work-phone Moto X gets picked up and used more and more than my personal 5C.

I will consider the Moto X2 or maybe even a Nexus 6, but never have I been interested in a Samsung device due to TouchWiz. I respect what Samsung has done with Android and appreciate that millions of people use TouchWiz just fine, even happily with some of those extra features, but I personally prefer as close to stock Android as possible.

And if I do decide to stick with iOS, I'll either hang onto my 5C or go iPhone 6. The metal Samsung wouldn't deter me. It'll make Android/Samsung users who want a more premium device happy, though.

9. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

gpe or nobuy samsung
    I like the idea of a no compromises 4.7" samsung device with top notch specs, sd card, removable battery, same camera as other samsung flagships
    unfortunately gpe samsung only for me, doubtful in this case since we still havent seen s5 gpe

10. JaySoul thread starter macrumors 68020

JaySoul

To be honest I concur with the anti-Samsung bloatware feeling in this thread.

The Alpha could be the perfect phone in terms of hardware BUT I was going through my S4 last night (running out of space, somehow) and the amount of nonsense shipped by Samsung is just ridiculous.

The software is laggy, tons of useless rubbish you can't delete and I'm so so tempted to just root the damn thing now.

11. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

I doubt it be a iphone 6 killer, your not going to see people camping outside of the Samsung store or Argos ect for weeks just to buy it.

Also if Samsung want this phone to sell, then i can see them spending millions on advertising coming upto Christmas.

I might be tempted around that time to get myself one, if it does end up being decent step up to the Galaxy S5.

12. JaySoul thread starter macrumors 68020

JaySoul

When was the last time anyone camped outside of Argos? :D

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

Sigh Another Galaxy phone? I have seriously lost track. Imagine how confused customers must be walking in a store and trying to chose a Galaxy device and/or tablet. Samsung really needs to focus.

14. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Samsung doesn't care if you're confused, only that you purchase one of their devices. With so many available, chances are good that's exactly what the avg. consumer will do. :rolleyes:

15. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

My biggest (pun intended) beef with the S5 is the size.

It's a touch too big. The S4 was about right, and Samsung could have done a better job with its newer generation miniaturization.

16. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Has nothing to do with what people want and everything to do with putting out a phone that mimmics the iPhone flavor... IMO of course. ;)

17. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Seems likely to me the note 4 may be packed with a metal back

18. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Maybe he meant Curry's? Or Tesco? Or hell, even a Sainsburry? Samsung doesn't care where it puts an advert to get people to buy their stuff. They'd tattoo a Samsung logo on Richard Hammond's forehead if they could, since that guy is on every other commercial.

19. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I want another Galaxy Nexus.

The one they produced was SUCH a good phone (at the time). I wouldn't mind if Samsung wanted to throw in a few of their proprietary stuff a la Moto X if they left most of the OS untouched. That would make me buy a Samsung product then.

20. JaySoul thread starter macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Makes too much sense.

Stop it.

21. ChrisTX, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Agreed. I prefer a Phablet as a Note 3 user and potential Note 4 buyer. But I'm well aware that not everyone wants a mini tablet as a phone.

Edit: The only problem I have with Samsung is that they need to focus on having 2 flagship phones and that's it. People sign 2 year contracts and I'd hate to buy one of their flagships(S5 in particular) only to have it outdated by the same OEM just a few months later. Granted I'm willing to pay full price for a smartphone, most people are not. At least with the iPhone you won't be "1-upped" by Apple only a few months down the road.

22. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

What they really should do is bring out just 3 smartphone's a year cheap, midrange & highend, with separate name branding instead of calling it Galaxy this and that.

Same goes with the Note series just one a year.

Also with the tablets i mean only 6 months ago they launched the Pro series which were suppose to be the top of the range tablets and now they brought of the Tab S, and they do the same again once the iPad Air 2 & Mini 3 are on the market.

Samsung way of doing things is to flood the market with tablets and smartphones but all this is doing is confusing people who are not tech savvy on what to buy, so they look at others that have a more streamlined lineup, Apple being the prime example.

23. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

24. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

Interesting that all the comments on that are talking about this competing directly w/ the iPhone 6 form factor.

But ya, the hell is is wrong with them?