4.7 too small, 5.5 too big

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by byke, Dec 19, 2014.

1. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

What do you think are the chances of a iPhone 6s with a 5 or 5.1" screen and an ok battery life?

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

Haha i feel the same way. Got used to my 4.7 inch already. I think 5.0 like the nexus 5 would be perfect but i doubt its ever gonna happen or they could just get rid of that redic retro 90s bezel of the plus

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Anytime soon? Zero chance.

I'd say your best hope is that 2016 brings an iPhone 7+ that has the same screen size but a slightly smaller case. Not exactly what you asked for but I'm just saying that's probably your next best option.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

ZERO:rolleyes:

It will be the same.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Are we really even asking this question? After all the waiting for the 6 and 6+, we are actually going to to start questioning the size already. Sorry for the snarky tone, but enough!

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I agree, for me the 5-5.2 would have been the ideal size for me I don't see Apple changing from the current screen sizes.

7. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

It's not going to happen, plus I don't think it should happen.

Quite frankly, I think the current lineup of 4", 4.7" and 5.5" is pretty much spot on in terms of screen size. I wouldn't like Apple to fragment their models any further.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Not going to happen, Apple has the big sizes covered already. If there is any change to the screen sizes in the foreseeable future it will be to reintroduce a small screen to go along with the current sizes.

9. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

Cheers for all the feedback.
    I know many of us (myself included) are fans of the Apple brand, but I can't help feel that I think they could have done better.

I seem to be stuck in a odd situation as I am uncomfortable switching to Android as I still believe it is far too unpolished for my likes. But I also can't help but feel that Apple is taking the p*** in terms of designs and function nowadays.

Yes I know they are selling more and more devices than ever before, but that is not really a testament to great or innovative design.

I have to buy a new phone, and I can't see myself changing OS at the moment as my family all use Apple devices. But given the options between the 6 and the 6+ I can't help feel that both contain sacrifices that are not worth committing too. Especially in regards to the amount of cash they cost (almost close to that of a laptop)

I think what speaks the most is that, I can find phones that are well designed or I could imagine using .... but come with a dodgy operating systems (usually android). Or iPhones that have ok operating systems but questionable design and price.

I want a phone that offers the greatest screen size in the smallest form factor, in regards to hand grip and ergonomics. Whereas factors such as how thin the phone could be to aid me carrying it in my skinny fit jeans is not a priority I share.

10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

The title of this thread were my thoughts exactly, and still are. I was frustrated by this toosmall/toobig thing for quite while until I finally settled on the compromise I liked better, the Plus.

Coming from a 4.8" Galaxy S III, I could not go down to a 4.7" screen on a phone that's actually taller than the S III.

The 6 Plus is excessively big for a 5.5" screened phone. I briefly had a Note 4, and that handled better than the Plus, all while having a 5.7" screen.

If the iPhone 7 brings a Plus with a smaller body but remains at 5.5" I'll be happy man.

One thing I know for sure, and I mean it this time (I once thought the S III was huge), is the 6 Plus is the biggest I EVER want my phone to be. My biggest gripe with Android lately is how all the top tier phones keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Any conservative (I could say "normal") sized phone is spec'd terribly, and treated like an afterthought.

Bring on the Newer, Smaller, Faster, Sleeker, iPhone 6 Plus with no camera hump (make it thicker if you have too)!

11. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I think going forward there will always be 3 iphone sizes.
    4'0, 4'7 and 5'5
    in the long run, the 4.0 will always have 640p resolution and the 4.7 and the 5.5' will get 1080p resolution.
    they will just be scaled differently.

iphone 7 will be 4.7' with 1080p display.
    3gb ram
    quad core processor
    10mp/13mp camera
    new design

you heard it here first.
    then as soon as the phone releases, the android camp will release a jpeg via facebook - iphone users, welcome to 2014.

and theyll be sort of right.

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I really don't see a 5" anytime soon. I see a 4, 4.7, and 5.5 inch.

13. zone23 macrumors 68000

It would be nice if the 6s just had a smaller bezel on top. Seems to me you could cut maybe a 1/4" off the phone.

14. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

Get a Moto X. Right now the 32GB devices are $450 off contract. Great phone especially if you are on ATT or TMobile and can buy a Pure Edition with unlockable bootloader.

15. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

The moto x is quite a nice phone.
    But it runs android which is a preference.

If you are going to go the Android method, then I would recommend the xiaomi mi4 running Miui V5 of android.

It's a 5" phone, high dpi, premium metal, that runs the nicest version of android (iPhone inspired) if it ran ios and had a sandstone back like the oneplus one, it would be a very nice phone.

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I don't see Apple doing another size revision any time soon either. They've got a relatively compact size and a phablet competitor. The 5S will be in the pipeline for another couple of years probably.

I wouldn't expect Apple to change unless there is a real good reason driven by a breakthrough in tech and design.

17. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Like someone else mentioned before, I think I might be thinking the 6 Plus is getting to be too small. :)

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's crazy how that works.

At first it's like "WHOA MASSIVE", and after a couple of days you don't even notice.

Give a month and then try going back to an iPhone 4 or even a even a 5. They suddenly seem laughably small.

19. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I felt like that when I had my S5. However after having my 6 plus for the past month it's is the perfect size. It's light and thin and well designed.

20. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I have my wife's iPhone 5 for sale and I had to turn it on to erase it. I thought I was going to go mad looking at that thing.