4 app categories iOS 5 may have damaged (or destroyed)

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by nutmac, Jun 7, 2011.

1. nutmac macrumors 68040

I have iOS 5 beta installed on both iPhone 4 and iPad 2. After using them for several hours (minus iMessage, which isn't yet active), I think these app categories are royally screwed.
    1. Camera: Camera replacement apps. I like and will use Camera+ still (particularly for stabilization, clarity filter, and timer), but lock screen access to built-in Camera app means it will be used a lot less. These apps will now have to compete against Photos app for processing and sharing photos.
    2. iMessage: Free texting apps, especially those that do not offer SMS or Google Voice. Some users will undoubtedly continue to use them still, but many will lose a large chunk of the user base.
    3. Reading List: Instapaper and Read It Later. I love Instapaper, which happens to be the first iOS app I purchased. But since I don't use its social feature, unless developer adds something major (e.g., voice reading), I don't see myself using it.
    4. Reminders: Basic "to do" app category (e.g., Appigo's Todo, Toodledo, Wunderlist). Power GTD apps (e.g., OmniFocus, Things) are probably unaffected, however.

That said, just as there are countless weather and stock apps, good and fairly priced replacement apps will continue to thrive. But Apple has done an excellent job with these 4 apps/features. I suspect many will simply fade away.

2. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

Ok

1. I agree on the Camera part, but a lot can be done with other Photo apps.
    2. Not everyone has an iOS device. FreeSMS stuff will still be needed for texting non-iOS users.
    3. Pretty much done for, I guess.
    4. Yea PowerUsers....

I think Apple can have a whole new kind of thing when they allow developers to use Widget API though. (Only 2 widgets seen right now, weather and stock widget in Notif. center)

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

Well, I can say something about the camera part I guess, as I write camera apps.

My first thought when hearing of "major improvements to the camera" was "OH SHIIIII". But, having seen what they've done, and played with it a bit, I think it's not an issue for me at least.

What apple have done really is just implement some pretty basic features. If the developers are relying on those basic features for their app, then yes they've just been shown the exit. If they're offering something a bit more compelling as their main features, it's not going to be an issue.