MP All Models 4 bay enclosure with "quick" hot-plugging?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Loa, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Loa macrumors 68000

Loa

Hello,

I'm looking for a 4 bay USB 3 enclosure that allows for "quick" hot-plugging. By "quick", I mean no screws.

Does such an enclosure exist?

P.S. I want it quick because I'd use one of the bays to update my off-site back-ups.

2. Loa thread starter macrumors 68000

Loa

Well, it would work, but I was looking for something more compact and a lot less expensive. Just a box with 4 3.5" drives stacked with hot plugging.

3. LorenK macrumors 6502

Or something less expensive: https://www.icydock.com/goods_cat.php?id=146. I have several of these and they've proven more reliable than other four bay devices I've had in the past. I use them as eSATA, but they also have a USB 3.0 port. They either appear as separate drives or you can RAID them, which I've done across two of them for my backup. There's a rebate on them this month, plus other icydock products.

4. Loa thread starter macrumors 68000

Loa

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you need to screw on the "tray" on every time?

5. LorenK macrumors 6502

They come with a small plastic holder than fits on the front of the HDD and is screwed on, which allows you to lock the drive into place. They also come with a couple of extra holders as well. That being said, I'm not sure that they're necessary as each drive has a slot to slide into, the holder just makes it easier to slide it in and remove it. You can probably do without it, although I think you'd have to check with icydock to be sure.

6. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ