4 Bays + 4 WD6400AAKS ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by supercooled, Jun 3, 2008.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

What's the best setup with these parameters?

I ran 2x750 F1s in Raid0 and was happy with performance; now I'm thinking of running 3 of these in Raid0 with the last reserve for backup but I also have an external FW for backups. Should I run all 4 of them in Raid0? I can keep my data on the external so no fear of a crash.

2. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

There is a couple of set ups you can use. You can Raid 0 all four or do a raid 0 for two and another raid 0 for the other 2 and then set the two raid 0's up in a mirror raid for great and stable file backups. Personally, I wouldn't set up three in a raid 0 and leave one behind. You wouldn't be able to mirror raid them anyway cause the volume size would be limited to the smaller hard drive size anyway, and that would be a waste of space. Anyway the way I run mine is two hard drives in a Raid0 one 500GB for all my itunes and iphoto files and a seperate 320GB for my Windows vista partition so I can play Age of Conan.
    :D

3. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want to maximize the performance and keep all information external. I have pondered about populating all bays with Raptors but these are getting very attractive reviews compared to them and they're much more cost effective.

Anyway, it's primarily for bragging rights and to know it is as fast as I can get without going full on with SCSI or SSD.

4. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. thekaptn macrumors newbie

I am running 4xWD6400AAKS in a soft-raid 0. It is amazing. I had ran xBench on it and I would like to say that my read was 380MB/s and write was 370MB/s. I am far away from home right now, but I should be back in a week or 2 and I will post up some screen shots of the test.

6. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I should stick to the SATA-II's - The raptors arent as quick as modern SATA-II's anyway and are noisier. The new raptors are nice (Velociraptor), but alas they have a non-standard interface location so wont fit (unmodded at least) in the Mac Pro.

:)

7. Vroom macrumors newbie

What do you mean "keep all information external?"

I've got 4 of the same hard drives and am waiting for my Mac Pro to arrive, so I'm trying to figure out how I want to set them up. I'll be doing video editing, so I don't know if all 4 in a raid would be best for that. The system drive is supposed to be kept separate.

8. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

My data external. I'm using a FW800 to store backups of stuff I may be working on. Still, 2.5TB of volatile data is a lot.

9. Vroom macrumors newbie

So as soon as you're done with a project you move it over to the FW800 drive? I'm just curious because you have 4 huge internal drives with seemingly little on them.

10. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

I am in a similar situation...

I do a lot of video, web, graphic design and 3D CAD/animation. As some of you may know, these files can be quite hefty to have on a hard drive. Right now I have 1.4 TB Raid 0 Setup on my Mac pro. This is A LOT of space! I keep all of my music and photos on a separate internal drive. This just keeps me more organized and gives me a little more peace of mind in case of drive or raid failures. Anyway, Even though 1.4 TB is a lot of space one video can run upwards of 50 GB and doing multiple jobs at one time can really add up to a lot of space. Mostly what I do is use the internal storage for all of my in progress work and use external storage to keep backups of all the completed work... I also keep a hard copy of individual jobs on dual layer DVDs. My experience with faulty drives has taught me that you can't have enough backups. Using the internals for in progress work only and not keeping older finished files on it gives me plenty of working space at all times and keeps me organized at the same time.

I would never work on files from and external... The connection is much to slow for rendering.

11. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It's a start.