4 CRASH/FREEZES in 2 DAYS- HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sybillespinola, Nov 13, 2011.

1. sybillespinola macrumors newbie

Hi,

After a year and a bit without any problems, my macbook pro (2010) has crashed 4 times in 2 days. I was streaming video on two occasions and downloading files from Fileserve the last time. Each time, I get the black blind thing that rolls down the screen and tells me to turn the computer off.

On all but one occasion, the computer wouldn't turn back on immediately but instead gave out three longish beeps every few seconds. This didn't happen on the third crash.

The first three times, the computer restarted fine after leaving it for a few hours but after the last night's crash, I've tried restarting it this morning and all I get is an empty desktop and a spinning wheel cursor, which I can move around with the mouse. The computer turns on but can't seem to get beyond the desktop background.

Any help would be really greatly appreciated - I'm on a dealine!!

Thanks!
    Sybille

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

three beeps = RAM issue

you could try to take out the RAM and put it back in. If that doesn't help, try booting with just one RAM module installed.

And of course: apple store!

3. sybillespinola thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought it might be the RAM but the beeps only happened 2 out of 4 crashes, so I'm not sure. I'll take it to the shop tomorrow but I was hoping I might be able to fix it myself before then. I'm just a bit nervous trying to take the RAM myself - never done it before. Can I lose data doing that?

Thanks.