4 days left on AppleCare, got a free 2011 replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lord patton, Jun 3, 2011.

1. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Hi all. I'm posting this as reference for those looking to see Apple's policy for replacement computers. I got mine today! Here's my stats:

2007 SR MacBook Pro (purchased June 2008 on clearance through a hook-up at Guitar Center).

Over the past three years, my computer has received the following service at the Apple Store:

2 replacement batteries
    1 top case replacement
    1 logic board replacement (due to nVidia 8600 whatever)
    1 power brick replacement
    3 optical drive replacements

It was this last optical drive replacement I was going in for today. The genius was nice, I was carrying my cutest-in-the-world 15 month-old daughter, and he looked at my 'puter's history, and he just volunteered that he would see what he could do. Five minutes later he told me I seem like a nice guy and he'd like to give me a new computer. I got the baseline 2011 15-inch MBP.

I definitely think my 2007 MBP was a bit of a lemon, but I didn't think I had much shot at a free replacement. Not for an optical drive. From what I've read here and on the webs, you need three *major* components to fail. But here we are.

In my wildest dream I hoped for another GPU failure next year after the Ivy Bridge MBPs are out to get a replacement. But that was a long shot and I'm thrilled with what I got. Obviously, who wouldn't be.

So earn your karma, be nice to your genius and maybe you'll get the hook-up. If I thought I had any more luck in the tank I'd go buy a lottery ticket.

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

I hate a lot of tactics Apple uses, but I do love the awesomness of their in-store techs. They may not always be the smartest but they are the nicest.

3. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

damn congrats...i hope the same thing happens for me when my apple car is about to run out! ha

4. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

5. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

That's awesome. Very lucky!

My experience with Apple support has been overall "good". Much better than I would rate my support with other PC manufacturers though. :p

6. cinek macrumors 6502

that's great! good to know the apple care plan is worth it

7. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Glad I have Applecare on my two Macs. Enjoy your new MBP.

8. EEXOOO macrumors regular

Does the new MBP come with any warranty? I will be shocked if it comes with the standard 1 yr warranty.

9. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

it has 4 days of applecare left (seriously are you asking that? it's in the topic subject)

10. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

The laptop that was replaced had 4 days remaining on Applecare. I would be surprised if the brand new replacement does not have a full year's warranty and was only covered for the 4 days remaining on the old laptop's Applecare.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A boxed replacement will always have a full one-year limited warranty.

12. lord patton thread starter macrumors 65816

lord patton

This. I have the one year warranty and can buy applecare anytime over the next year, just like normal.

Although I might wait on the AppleCare, because I could see myself selling this if the Ivy Bridge's come out next April/May. I just think those will be king (on-board SSD, no optical drive, thinner, lighter). But that decision is a long way off.

13. EEXOOO macrumors regular

Try to read properly the next time round.

14. EEXOOO macrumors regular

Wow. Just wow. They replaced your old MBP with a new MBP with 1 yr standard warranty. I can't see how they can do better on this.

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

very nice man that is a steal. i'm glad it worked out for you and i support your decision to hold off on applecare for the replacement as you already have the 1 year limited warranty like you said. this is a good thread to refer to for those wondering if applecare is really worth it, as this is the best case scenario i would say.

hope you enjoy your new mbp. :]

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yep, replacements come with the standard 1 year warranty or the remainder of your AppleCare whichever is longer.

17. lord patton thread starter macrumors 65816

lord patton

They couldn't have been better. Some in my position have tried to push their luck. For example, they say that they *need* an ExpressCard slot, and try to get the 17", since that's the only one that has it now. Or they raise a stink about wanting the anti-glossy coating, and get a free upgrade to a hi-res screen in the process. I had no intention of doing either.

When I was picking it up and I told them I needed a couple accessories, such as a DVI-miniDisplayPort adapter and a FireWire 400-800 converter cable. I asked at a time during which they could have volunteered to comp them, but I didn't ask them too... and they didn't. Oh well, I paid $60 for $2000 worth of kit. Not too bad. :)

There's no question that Apple computers are expensive. They are, however, good values, when you consider the reliability, service, beauty, and functionality they have.

18. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

In my mindset Apple Care was a waste of money. After some recent bad experiences with Mac's quality and reading your post, it is worth it, unfortunately in the old days it wasn't needed. But now it seems to be part of the :apple: price. What about Best Buy programs ?

19. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

Macs are good computers, they take their time with updates and dont rush anything. failures occur but they take care of them. apple is the best computer company in the world in my opinion at this point in time. could they improve in areas? sure! but they are darn good i think. If I had to put my money down on a 2k laptop today, it would be with apple. that says somethijng,

20. AlexBooHu macrumors newbie

Did you have to pay for the battery replacement? I always thought that battery service is not included in Apple Care or the normal guarantee.

21. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Does anyone get the feeling Apple make bad quality products just so people buy Apple care? Does Steve jobs get Angry if 5% of hardware doesn't break :p?

22. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It is covered if it's an abnormal failure. If it fails with less than 300 cycles (for the older batteries) or 700-1000 I think for the newer ones, then it's usually covered, unless it's also been a long time. Chances are if it fails within the first 6 months it'll be covered, and within the first year if it's not over the number of cycles.

Of course, there's a lot of flex there, and it usually comes down to the individual judgement of the tech involved.

jW

23. lord patton thread starter macrumors 65816

lord patton

Yeah, the old MBP had two batteries fail with less than 300 cycles, so they were replaced for free.