4+GB of Ram? Question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by QSpec, Apr 8, 2008.

1. QSpec macrumors newbie

Hey, I just purchased a new MBP (so new, it shipped today actually). I have a quick question on RAM.
    All of the literature that I find says that it will only support up to 4GB of RAM. I will only have 2GB because I figure I can upgrade it far cheaper than the price Apple wants. However, I have read on these forums of some users having 6-8GBs (one even had 10 me thinks). How is this possible? Will the MBP only utilize 4GB? If that is the case, why spend money upgrading it to 8? Or, is the literature I'm reading wrong?
    Hopefully this hasn't been asked before. I did a few searches for RAM, but never found this question answered.
    I'm coming from a PC (welcome me to the family), and this Mac thing is quite a bit different.
    Thanks for the help.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

MBPs only have 2 slots so you can only fit 2 SODIMMS (chips). Currently the maximum RAM per chip is 2GB so you can only use 4GB. People with more than this amount of RAM have Mac Pros.

4. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Get to know the names of Apple computer products. I know it can be confusing with mac pros, MacBook pros, MacBook, iMac and so on...