4 GB or 8 GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by garrettjohn, Aug 15, 2009.

1. garrettjohn macrumors newbie

Alrighty. I hope this doesn't sound totally stupid. But help me figure this out, and I will be forever grateful. I'm finally purchasing my 17'' MacBook Pro today, however, I am stuck on something.

The configuration desired: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB of RAM, 500 GB spinning @ 7200 rpm, Antiglare display. Almost every upgrade but the SSD, which I'll swap in a 512 once they release it for a decent price. Don't worry about the RAM markup, please. I have worked my a** off for this, and I will also get my education discount. I am trying to build the ideal traveling post production studio. I move around a lot... almost too much. Most of my work is done on laptops. I can work pretty well on them. But do you think I'll notice a big difference in Final Cut Studio (latest release) with the RAM upgraded from 4 to 8?

I could really use your advice MacRumor forum readers and contributors. Much thanks! :)

2. celticpride678

For video and photo editing, you might be better off with the 8GB of RAM.

3. Doju macrumors 68000

For video editing? Definitely no benefit, that will use like 2GB max. 8GB is targeted towards virtualization and the like.

Please don't waste your money.

4. garrettjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

It would really be a waste of money?

5. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Wrong. :mad: Please don't waste your time taking Doju's terrible advice. 8GB would be great for video editing, photo editing, or any kind of content creation.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Video editing would have benefit with 8GB ram. If you got the money, go for it.

7. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

If you make money using your computer it would not be a waste of money.

8. luisgab macrumors newbie

You can buy it from crucial or other company and installed yourself... doing that it will save you a lot of money!

And YES you will benefit from 8gb of ram for your video editing needs

9. garrettjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. Haha. Thank you for the correction. I mean, I figured 8 would make sense. But everyone always has some argument against the notion. I guess 8 GB it is, unless anyone has something else to add.

Speak now... or forever hold your peace.

10. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

8GB would be great, but I would still buy 4GB from Apple and upgrade on my own, its insanely easy to upgrade and Apple rips you off with the price of their upgrades.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If money is not an issue for the OP, and I was in his shoes, I would opt for the 8GB upgrade, I mean his machine of choice is certainly capable of using it. Also I'm a firm believer in future proofing the products I buy so I tend to max out the capabilities. Final Cut can only perform better with more ram as well as multi-tasking which will definitely need a lot of ram. Go for it.

12. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I have the 15" on order. I plan to add 4GB within a month or so (for 6 GB total) and again later when the RAM gets cheaper to 8GB. I would not order the upgrade from Apple. It's about $350 more than if you get it from OWC.

13. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

I must suck

Mine has only 2GB memory. Guess I need to ask the question: What possibly can I do with this machine, based on some of the answers.

Cheers! :cool:

14. garrettjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

15. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Yay!

I think you'll enjoy mucho mucho! Who'd you order through and did you decide 4 or 8?

16. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have noticed that you notice an increase of RAM most when you are upgrading from 2 GB or less. After that, I really don't see a large difference. Really.

17. garrettjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

i ordered it through apple, and i got the ram from apple too (8GB). it was $300 cheaper with my student discount. probably a stupid move. oh well. i still can't wait. my new mbp will be my best friend for the next three years. :apple:

18. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

goodluck on the purchase! and congrats!

I have te 2.66 early 2009 model and its stellar.
    I upgraded to 8gb from the stock 4gb and there is a noticeable difference.

i say if you can max out the ram or as much as you can afford into any system do it..everything goes through memory essentially.

doing web editing, photoshop (it eats alot testing pages in various browsers...primarily firefox is a huge memory hog).
    video editing; id recommend it completely especially if youre using an external display as the video memory is eaten up rather quickly through larger displays ive noticed so everything bounces to ram.

19. garrettjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I'll be sure to create a new thread with my impressions. Anyway, I will be using my friends 30'' display, at least until Apple renews their cinema display line.