4 GB RAM 20' iMac upgrade to 8-16GB ram???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Confusious, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Confusious macrumors newbie

Hi folks

I will appreciate a lot some information about if its possible and 8 or 16 GB ram upgrade to my two years old iMac (first version aluminum). As it is on Snow Leopard and I have been told is possible to run more than 4 GB of ram, but not sure is it is just for the new hardwares (iMacs and iBooks).

Thanks in advance

Cheers!:eek:

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I think thats for the newer machines. To find out how much more RAM your computer can take, the fool proof way is to download the crucial system scanner.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your iMac can take up to 6GB of DDR2 memory. It's the limitation of memory controller, not software.

4. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Your iMac can only support 6GB if I remember correctly. If it's the original aluminium then that's the 2.0 GHz version, mine is the bump to 2.4 GHz and can officially support 4GB max, and unofficially will support 6GB.

5. Confusious thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the quick reply.

@martynmc7 & Hellhammer
    The iMac i am on is running a 2.4 GHz intel Core 2 Duo, the same as you martynmc7.
    So should I then go for a Memory ram card of 4 GB and the other of 2 GB? (I guess so because there isnt any 3GB ones)

@ stridemat
    I will do it and let you know what comes out . Upadete: says it just supports 4 GB a maximum of 2 GB per slot........

Is it out there someone who was already tried out this configuration and worked????????????

Cheers:apple:

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes

OWC sells 6GB (4GB+2GB) kits and they always test the maximum RAM of each Mac

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

RAM works best in matched pairs - so 2 x 2GB modules or 4 x 1GB modules etc, but you can use different if sizes if you want to max your computer.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, I have never known the crucial scanner to be wrong.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Crucial tells the official maximums. 4GB official, 6GB unofficial. No need for matched pairs either, it'll only enable dual channeling which is quite useless

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Perhaps I should have stated that its the official supported amount.

10. Confusious thread starter macrumors newbie

SWEEETTTTTTT

Thanks for the tips mates, I will buy a 4 GB RAM DDR2 as soon as I can.

Thanks for the help again.

Cheers!:eek: