Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Proto Media

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
Gnar Cal
I heard somewhere that you could now get a single dimm 2gb modual of ram. Assuming this is correct, do you think it would be possible to get 2 2gb moduals into a macbook pro 17 inch? Would the computer even recognize it/support it? anyone if would be appreciated, thanks.

-Ryan

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Proto Media said:
I heard somewhere that you could now get a single dimm 2gb modual of ram. Assuming this is correct, do you think it would be possible to get 2 2gb moduals into a macbook pro 17 inch? Would the computer even recognize it/support it? anyone if would be appreciated, thanks.

-Ryan
It's not possible with the RAM the MBP use.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
When you say vague, do you mean stating that "two SODIMM slots support up to 2GB" is vague. I will admit that is for the 15" model and the 17" makes no specs on maximum RAM support, but to me that is pretty clear so that can't always be vague on this issue.

Also I recall Apple making a big song and dance about the Dual Core PowerMacs supporting 16GB RAM. How vague was that?

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
steve_hill4 said:
When you say vague, do you mean stating that "two SODIMM slots support up to 2GB" is vague. I will admit that is for the 15" model and the 17" makes no specs on maximum RAM support, but to me that is pretty clear so that can't always be vague on this issue.

Also I recall Apple making a big song and dance about the Dual Core PowerMacs supporting 16GB RAM. How vague was that?

Well, that's what they have tested it for...it's always possible that it will actually work. Once someone actually tries it, we'll know for sure.

Officially processors only run at their official speed, but just ask overclockers what speeds those chips can really do.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
That would be possible with the merom chip that supports more memory since its 64 bit, or just wait until 2gb chips are ready and suitable for it. I think since dell has them, it will put pressue on apple to at least offer them. but expect $500-$1000 more tho:(

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Peyton said:
That would be possible with the merom chip that supports more memory since its 64 bit, or just wait until 2gb chips are ready and suitable for it. I think since dell has them, it will put pressue on apple to at least offer them. but expect $500-$1000 more tho:(

Good point, the new Dell XPS laptop can hold up to 4GB RAM and it has a Core Duo processor. Perhaps, the MacBook Pro can hold more than 2GB of RAM...... :)

Although, the 2GB of RAM limit sounds like more of a logic board limit than anything else. :eek:

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
Assuming the Powermac G5 has 8 full size DIMM slots, could it have 16 notebook slots, and have a 2GB module in each, for 32GB..?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Mammoth said:
Assuming the Powermac G5 has 8 full size DIMM slots, could it have 16 notebook slots, and have a 2GB module in each, for 32GB..?

I could not possibly see Apple (or anyone else for that matter) using SODIMM slots in a tower machine. Although, if a machine with a 64-bit processor (such as the G5 or upcoming merom/conroe/woodcrest processors) had 16 slots and accepted 2GB DIMMs, then it could be expanded to a whopping 32GB of RAM. :)

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
The 4GB upgrade on the XPS is ~$2300 and there is a 22 day delay on it as of now. Talk about an expensive upgrade.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
It could come down to the underlying power supply to the RAM. I don't know this for sure, but the 2GB sticks may require higher voltage or amperage which is out of the range of what Apple has tested for. This doesn't mean it won't work, it's just not guaranteed. Many things are unsupported, but still work fine...this could be one of them.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mmmcheese said:
It could come down to the underlying power supply to the RAM. I don't know this for sure, but the 2GB sticks may require higher voltage or amperage which is out of the range of what Apple has tested for. This doesn't mean it won't work, it's just not guaranteed. Many things are unsupported, but still work fine...this could be one of them.
No, it comes down to whether the memory controller of the machine can count that high --- literally, if it doesn't recognize the number of rows and columns, it can't use the higher capacity RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.