4 GB Ram upgrade for macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smani, Jul 6, 2009.

1. smani macrumors newbie

I bought a refurbished white macbook sometime during aug 2008. It has the following configuration - 2.1GHz with 1GB RAM.
    I'd like to upgrade to 4GB and when i did Apple menu - > about this mac, I got the following :
    Processor 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

So when I'm buying a 2*2GB cards, what are the specs that I should look out for ? Will a 800 MHz fit my mac ? Coz the bus speed is mentioned as 800 MHz.. I'm inclined to buying the kingston memory card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134370

Plz let me know if I'm making the right decision.. and also whether 800MHz is a good idea..

Thanks a lot..

2. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Try this RAM its 2 2gb sticks and is compatible with the white macbook. My friend bought from OWC and it was fine. I am afraid I know nothing about the MHz speed etc. Sorry I cannot help there

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Just put 667MHz RAM in your Macbook. I don't think 800MHz will fit or be utilized by your Macbook.

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

go to crucial.com From there click on the mac memory tab and find your model of computer. It lists the correct specs (frequency, voltage, etc.) for you computer.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

go to OWC at macsales.com and find your laptop on there. They sell products for macs only so it is guaranteed to be compatible. They also have instructional videos on how to install new RAM cards and other things like hard drives on their website. OWC is a great company and has quality RAM for reasonable prices. i would check them out

6. smani thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot guys.. I have ordered the OWC 2*2GB card that iAlexG had pointed out.. thanks a lot for your help and guidance :)

7. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

8. MacSTi macrumors newbie

9. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Macs are DDR3 not DDR2 and i don't think you can just have one stick of RAM. You need two (i think)