4 gb upgrade on 2.4ghz MBP - worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ByronT, Jun 14, 2008.

1. ByronT macrumors newbie

Hello!

I've finally made the decision to get the low-end model of the Macbook Pro with the student discount and free iPod Touch. I'll be using an Apple credit card so I'll also be getting $75 free iTunes points. However, I'm torn between the decision to upgrade to 4gb or not. I will be using the computer for games like Counter-Strike: Source as well as recording my songs with Protools M-Powered.

I know 4gb would be better - but is it worth $200 extra? What does everyone think? Rip off?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

First off it's never worth getting it from Apple.

So you said you want to play CS:S and record music--the standard 2GB is plenty for those tasks; even if you wanted to do a little Photoshopping, 2GB is good.

In case you do want a memory upgrade, buy from NewEgg or something, not from Apple.

Like I said you don't need it.

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

It's not worth the extra $200. You can get 4GB of RAM yourself for about $90-$100 (Crucial, NewEgg, OWC, etc) and install it yourself in a matter of 3-5 minutes. Check out the RAM buying/installing Guides here.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_RAM
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_RAM

4. ByronT thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies! I will definitely check out your suggestions!

5. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Do not get the RAM from Apple, but do get the RAM. I bought a 2.4GHz MacBook Pro two weekends ago and it was hurting for performance with only the 2GB it shipped with. Once I was able to put 4GB in it, performance improved significantly.

6. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I've started playing CSS since school ended. It runs nicely on my 2.4 MBP, I recently upgraded to 4 gb of ram, and noticed no difference.

Like everyone else is saying, unless you want to pay 2.5 times the price, get ram elsewhere.

I run CSS out of Codeweaver's Crossover for games.

7. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

What kind of programs are you running to notice the difference? The programs I use aren't ram intensive, so I didn't notice a difference when upgrading.

I got my ram here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231135

$75 shipped!

8. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

It was not so much the programs themselves, but the number. I can have four or five up at any one time.

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I would recommend 4gb for anyone running VMWare or Parallels. With 2gb, Fusion only allocates 512mb to Windows by default, and I wouldn't want to go much higher than that, but with 4gb you could easily allocate 2gb or more to Windows.

10. GoxKok macrumors member

GoxKok

Dropping 100 bucks on 4GB of RAM was the best thing ive done to my computer. Having the elbow room is ****ing great!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

12. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

13. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Faster cas timing can increase speed according to some tests. His old timing was probably 5-5-5-12

14. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

4gb is worth it (future-proofing ftw!) right now is the sweet spot to buy it; DDR2 is slowly being phased out in place of DDR3 (so the price of DDR2 memory will go up)

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't you mean 4-4-4-12? ...or 5-5-5-15?

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Because my tablet needs more RAM anyways, so all I did was move my old MBP RAM to my tablet and put the new RAM into my MBP

Same timings; different brands.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

alphaod, your old RAM and the new RAM have the same timings? How could you get a performance boost from changing brand names?

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So you didn't even switch brands! That's really interesting how the same brand and the same RAM would give different performance! I guess you just got a "good batch"! By the way, on your Geekbench score, I just downloaded and ran it, but since I didn't buy it, it only runs a 32-bit test. Can you run a 32-bit test on yours, so I can have an apples-to-apples (no pun intended) comparison?

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Oh no, I changed brands; the older memory was Kingston, the new one is OCZ.

Anyways, the results:
    http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/64423

21. B1gMac macrumors regular

B1gMac

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

23. sevimli macrumors 6502a

Exactly!!!! Same here!