4 gig vs 6 gig ram update

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by azafata26, Nov 27, 2011.

1. azafata26 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a macbook 4,1 black version so I have 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo processor and currently 2 gigs of memory. Now my problem is do I go with the 4 gig or the 6 gig upgrade. I understand that when there are 2 sticks of ram of the equal size it always the mac to run the parallel(Im not sure what its called but essentially it works better) And so if I put 6 gigs of ram in I would have to use a 2 gig x 4 gig making it so my computer wouldn't do the parallel thing witch causes a loss in speed but would the loss in speed still be faster than 2 gig x 2 gig with the parallel running? So my basic question is 4 gig x 2 gig vs. 2 gig x 2 gig....What do you think?

2. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

my experience

My brother has the exact same machine as you have. He did go for the 6 gig ram solution and ended up as you have mentioned, 1 x 4 gig module and 1 x 2 gig module. There was a noticeable speed boost after the upgrade and the machine felt more responsive.
    Since the price difference was not too big, I would always go with the 6 gig. In a view years from now the new programs will need more resources anyways.
    There is no such thing as too much ram in my opinion!
    Regarding the speed, I am not sure if that mentioned "memory bus"applies to the macbook... There is a triple channel memory controller on the Mac Pro, but on the Macbook ?? Don't know that one..