4 gigs in vista?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If I had 4 gigs of ram in vista (32 bit), how much would be usable? Thanks.

2. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Vista will be able to use as much as your hardware can utilize.

3. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

i've heard that 32 bit versions of windows can only handle 3 gigs max. Is this true?

4. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Vista 32-bit can support 4Gb of total address space, which is a combination of RAM, video memory, and other components that use memory. So in effect, the most RAM you could really get any use out of is 3Gb. More than that requires the 64-bit version of Vista.

5. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Nice try, but totally wrong.

6. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

thanks

could anyone with a SR MBP tell me exactly how much ram is able to be utilized? Is it exactly 3 gig? Thanks, just curious.

7. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Ordinarily, depending on the video chip and other BIOS chips in the system, you might be able to get as high as 3.5 GB available.

Something to consider, is Vista 64. If you have a legit copy of Vista, Microsoft will send you the 64 bit media for $10.00 shipping. Then you can use all 4GB just fine.

8. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

I would, but i hear bootcamp doesn't have 64bit drivers

9. DaLurker macrumors 6502

This is true :)

10. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

The only way to find out EXACTLY how much will be used is by installing Vista. It should be the same amount that would also be used in XP 32-bit. So if you were wondering if you should go with XP over Vista, the amount of RAM that the OS can use should not be a deciding factor.

The general norm is about 3.2-3.5 Gigs is recognized.

11. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Oh, I was not aware of this fact. Thanks for correcting me.

12. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

A SR MBP has either 2Gb or 4Gb RAM configs. So you'd need the 4Gb configuration to get the most possible RAM in Vista 32-bit. Total utilisation would be the sum of the memory components, eg, RAM+256Mb Video RAM+others, as long as it is below 4Gb.

I must admit though, 4Gb of memory space is a lot. Sure, there are situations where you might need more than that, such as virtualisation, etc. But right now, there's very little use for more in a consumer-level computer.

The PC in my sig (2Gb RAM + 640Mb Video + misc others) seems to have plenty. Although I'm not doing any virtualisation... And if I want to use more, I can just upgrade to Vista 64-bit. Or maybe Apple will release OS X for PC. Maybe not. Hahahah.

13. Tshapi macrumors regular

I have been wondering this for a while. Now that Mac is officially using exactly the same parts as every other Pc on the planet, why is it not conceivable to buy any PC and load the OS X on a Toshiba or a HP or a Sony for that fact?

what does apple put in their hardware and software, that ties it specifically to computers designed by Apple?

14. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

MY 2.4 SR MBP has 4GB RAM and in XP I see 3GB. On my desktop PC, with Vista 32 and 4GB of memory I saw the exact same 3GB of RAM. Switching to 64bit (and the proper bios) allowed all 4GB to be addressed properly.