4 gigs of Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buzzfgo, Jul 4, 2008.

1. buzzfgo macrumors member

buzzfgo

Just bought a MBP. (die Vista die)

Will bumping the ram from 2 gigs to 4 really show a performance gain?

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

From someone who owned 3 2GB RAM laptops until I got my 4GB RAM Macbook: Yes, you'll definitely notice a difference, especially when multi tasking. Definitely worth the investment.

3. buzzfgo thread starter macrumors member

buzzfgo

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You will be glad that you did -- especially if you run many apps at the same time.

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Only if you are using all of your 2gb right now. I would upgrade if you want to use VMWare/Parallels or any memory-intensive applications like high-end video editing software.

7. gravee macrumors newbie

(sorry to hijack) but would it be a good investment for an online multiplayer game player like myself. (I play the game America's Army and usually have a bunch of app's/programs up at once)

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

you will only notice the difference if you need the RAM, to the OP check your page in page out in your activity monitor if you don't use it then your wasting your money

Probably but check your page in page out's in your activity monitor first before buying it

Here is something to read about memory usage the article is a little old you can use terminal or activity monitor to check page in page out's,here is another useful read

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much RAM! :)

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

That is true but only if you need it, what's the point of having it if you don't even come close to using it example "oh i do a bit of surfing,use office now & again, do i need more RAM" answer " get 4GB it'll fly"

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you noticed what a resource hog Office is? I don't play games, create videos or do advanced graphics-intensive work, but I routinely max out my RAM with normal applications. The fact is, in most cases, if it runs fast on 2GB RAM, it will run faster with 4GB. With RAM so inexpensive, it's a no-brainer to upgrade.

12. kalex macrumors 65816

with the price of ram being so cheap, there is no reason not to go with 4GB. It helps a lot when you run fusion and have a vm running. It will also help if you run multiple apps. it also makes the OS more stable.
    Prices of 4GB kits hovering around $65, and difference between 2GB and 4GB being around $20 -$25, just get 4GB and you'll be happy.

Alex

13. mynameisshawn macrumors member

A multitasking dream, I can export a video through FCE, surf and download with FF 3.0 with 10+ tabs, and run some other odds and ends. And it still runs smoothly.

14. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

fair point, but i only upgraded because i needed it to do some webdesign and graphic work now and again

Who's that directed at? as i already have 4GB installed and the OP has ordered it

15. gravee macrumors newbie

i was concerned with buying a 2 gig upgrade from apple (upgrading my 2.4, 2gig mbp) because of the near criminal price but searched for other sites selling ram and i think im going to do it because it seems like someone who usually has multiple apps or demanding online multiplayer games (both of which i have) would be much happier with the upgrade. thanks for your help guys

- alex :apple:

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Case in point:

Currently running:
    • One Finder window
    • Safari with 4 active tabs
    • Mail
    • iTunes playing music
    • Yahoo Messenger, logged in but idle
    • Activity Monitor

As you can see, it's definitely using more than 2GB of RAM.

Attached Files:

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Who's arguing as i'm certainly not ,i use about the same amount of RAM for some of the stuff i use if not a little more,i only wanted to point out that for some people i don't think it's necessary

18. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

What RAM should I buy for the MBP and where should I buy it?

Thanks

19. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Crucial makes great memory, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

20. BigPrince macrumors 68020

The next time a post is made like this, please ask the user to clarify what he does with his computer. The average user does NOT need more then 2 gigs of RAM.

How can you give good advice based on the above information provided?

21. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

What are you going to be running check your page in page outs to determine as to whether or not you need it first

And there was me thinking i'm alone on this one, well said

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes, this is a valid point BigPrince. It is always best to find out what the user will be doing with their computer before advising them of what to get/upgrade. No disagreement there.

One observation that I would make, is that individuals generally grow into their computers capability. So if you have more RAM memory, you tend to use more applications. And now with programs like VMware and Parallels, more individuals are running another operating system so more memory is good. Plus programs like Microsoft Office 2008 and others work better when there is plenty of memory.

The OP did indicate that he was moving from PC running Vista to the Mac. So more RAM will make it easier to run VMware or Parallels along with having more applications open at the same time.

23. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Well that is cool, but the way I read his post was that he does not want to use vista "die vista die"...so why would one come to the conclusion that he wants to virtualize it?

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just based upon observation.

I know a few who have switched from Windows to the Mac. Many still want to be able to run at least one application from their Window's days. Being able to do so eases the transition worries for these individuals because if there is no Mac equivalent, they can always run Windows on those rare occasions.

Since the OP was coming from Vista, and said what he said, I figured that he would be one of those who will still need to run Vista. I'm probably reading too much into his post. And again, what I said above comes from simple observation and nothing more.

Reminds me of a Japanese fellow that I know, that just 2 months ago, I asked him if he was planning on getting married to his girlfriend. He emphatically stated that he had no plans. Found out last Wednesday that he is getting married next weekend.

My point is many Windows switchers may say die Windows die, but in the end they cannot go cold turkey with the Windows OS.

How was that for a long winded reply? :)

25. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I think the bottom line is that OSX will use the extra RAM , feed it more , it will use it