4 month for 26 days? MBP Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seong, Apr 15, 2010.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Ok, I bought new MBP four weeks ago (damn, I should have ditched the presentation) and I opened up my ol' friend Coconutbattery application.
    I haven't carried it around yet, since it was my first 'pro' laptop. I opened it up, and told me there was total of one load cycle of the battery. I looked two more sentences down where it said "age of your mac". It says '4 month'. Is this normal for MBP? Never unplugged it, and says that my Mac is 4 month old when I bought it 26 days ago.....
    Could this be a 14 day returned 'refurbished' one?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Entirely possible. Your machine just wasn't hot off the assembly line / ship from China.

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Leaving your machine plugged in all the time hurts the battery worse then running off of battery.. Maybe that was the problem?

Sorry, can't be more helpful.

4. Sn0wball macrumors regular

Can anyone else back this up?

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

He is correct. When using the laptop, the best way to keep the battery is good condition is to fully charge it, run the battery all the way down, then recharge. Say one day you only used 25% of the battery, dont charge it over night. Run the battery down the next day. (Bring your charger with you obviously). Also, when charging the battery, do not take it off the charger mid cycle. By doing that, you are litterally training the battery to not hold as much juice as before. Hope this helps.

6. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

I don't have an statistics to offer up, but from my knowledge, I've heard that leaving a battery plugged in all the time isn't the best. Now if you are using the computer and its plugged in, I think that should be fine. But just leaving it idle while fully charged and plugged into the wall can keep the battery hotter, thus possibly causing some negative effects.

But I'm not an expert by any means. :cool:

edit: Leaving it plugged in and idle for longer periods of time. Overnight should be fine. I just mean a few days.

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

It is not really bad keeping it plugged in all the time as it stops charging when fully charged and does not charge again until it drops down below full charge.

AND you should NEVER allow it to discharge completely as L-Ions do not like it and it will shorten their useful life.

There is little you can do that will GREATLY increase you battery life so just use it and enjoy!

10. koyou macrumors newbie

Is there any battery care function in Macbook Pro (or OS X)? If yes, then I think keeping it plugged should be fine.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not about over-charging. It's about keeping electrons moving. Leaving it plugged in all the time is absolutely bad for a battery.
    That is absolutely false. Discharging it completely is part of the calibration process, which should be done every 30-60 days. It does NOT shorten the battery life to drain it all the way.

12. Sn0wball macrumors regular

I use the computer for 10 hours/day, and it's mainly plugged into the mains. For me the notebook is merely a desktop-replacement computer that I can move from room to room, rather than carrying a huge ATX based PC (tower unit) and external screen around with me, lol.

If I charge the notebook and remove it from the mains it would expire within the day if I didn't plug it in again, as I use it more hours in a day than the number of hours it can hold a charge for in use. If this was the case then I'd be charging and discharging it daily, which would be ~400 full charge cycles a year.

I take it this is really bad for the notebook?

On my old Fujitsu notebook I could flip the battery out and keep it to one side while using the notebook via the mains. Obviously this isn't possible with the unibody as the battery is integrated and not user removable.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First of all, if you unplug and run on battery for an hour, then plug it back in, that doesn't count as a cycle. A cycle is one full discharge, or two 50% discharges, or four 25% discharges, etc. If you frequently unplug to run on batteries and then plug it in again, that's actually good for the battery, as it keeps the electrons moving. If you mean you run on battery until it's drained every day, it's still not bad for the battery, but you would be using up cycles quicker than the average user. If that's the way you need to operate, do it. A good rule is to use it on battery when you need to and plug it in when you can, as long as you don't leave it plugged in all the time.

14. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

This has been argued over and over and a L-Ion battery has just so many cycles before it looses capacity so you, Sir, are just bringing your battery to an early death. A battery L-Ion battery will last the longest about 3/4 charged and put in a drawer and not used at all. That kinda blows the "keep the ions moving thing" LOL!:eek:

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need to do more reading. Yes, a battery has only so many cycles. However, calibrating your battery every month or two isn't going to have a huge impact on that. Apple batteries are expected to retain at least 80% capacity for 300 cycles. Following Apple's recommendation for calibration is hardly going to bring an "early death" to a battery! :rolleyes:

The "keep electrons moving" refers to not leaving it plugged in all the time. It has nothing to do with storing a battery.

16. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

Apple is in business to SELL batteries.

I would rather you REALLY do your homework and go check out a good site that tells you about battery chemistry so you could learn something! :eek:

I worked for a company that made these batteries for 7 years:D

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That doesn't mean anything. Lots of people work for Apple who have nothing to do with building computers. Just because you're employed by a company doesn't make you an expert on what they produce.

From How to prolong lithium-based batteries at BatteryUniversity.com.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

CoconutBattery uses your serial number to show the date; it's not very accurate.

19. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

When in doubt, read the directions...

Apple says;

Calibrating a portable computer battery

Calibrating your battery ensures you get the longest possible running time from it. Calibrate your battery during the first week you own it, and then recalibrate it every two months. If you use your computer infrequently, it’s best to recalibrate it at least once a month.
    Whenever you purchase new batteries, calibrate them as well.

To calibrate a portable computer battery:

1. Plug in the MagSafe Power Adapter and fully charge the battery.
      When the battery is fully charged, the light on the MagSafe Power Adapter connector changes to green and the Battery icon in the menu bar indicates that the battery is charged.
    2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours or longer.
      You can use your computer during this time as long as the power adapter is plugged in.
    3. With the computer still on, disconnect the power adapter and continue to use your computer.
    4. When you see the low battery warning, save your work and close all applications. Keep your computer turned on until it goes to sleep.
    5. After your computer goes to sleep, turn it off or allow it to sleep for five hours or longer.
    6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged.
      You can use your computer during this time.