4 month-old iMac grey screen on start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Otheradam, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Otheradam macrumors newbie

My iMac goes to a grey screen when I power it on and it starts beeping in a series of 2 beeps (beep beep.....beep beep) and I can't get it to boot. Does anyone know what the problem is or how to fix it?

2. sawmaster macrumors regular

What kind of iMac? If it's not the new Aluminum iMac then, maybe it wasn't good. I can't imagine an Aluminum iMac crashing on me. Since they are so new and don't seem to just crash on you! lol dunno why! :p:apple::apple:

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Either faulty RAM or a dead logic board. Take it to the store or call Apple.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

5. indefatigable macrumors member

A similar thing happened to my power book awhile ago. I don't believe you are going to be able to get it on to do any diagnostics. The way it was explained to me is that some piece of pertinent hardware has died. The number of beeps and blinking lights indicates the piece of hardware. You're gonna need to take it to an apple store if it's under warranty. In my case (three beeps, I think) the ram slot died, leading to a new logic board.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The beeps ARE a diagnostic test. It is the POST (Power On Self Test) and if you read the post above yours he noted that according to Apple 2 beeps means incompatible RAM.

If the OP has added any RAM on his own I would suggest he try removing it and see if it helps the situation. If it is a RAM compatibility issue with user-added memory Apple is not going to do anything for him.

7. Otheradam thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey all, thanks for the replies. It is an aluminum iMac. I figured it was ram incompatibility. It has upgraded RAM that the store put in for us. I actually just loaded the install CD and it seemed to boot up fine. It is working now. So odd.

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

When you say the "store" do you mean the Apple Store? If it occurs again you might try removing and reseating the new RAM module. It could just be a case of not being seated properly.

It's quite easy to do yourself and there are detailed instructions in the iMac manual. :)