4 port SATA Card Recommendation for G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lukusc, Jun 8, 2014.

1. lukusc macrumors newbie

Hi There,

I'm not so good on this hardware stuff and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations on what SATA card I can us in my PowerMac G5? I want a 4 port SATA card so I can expand my storage.

Machine Spec
    PowerMac Duel 2.0 Ghz CPU (PowerMac7,3)
    4 Gig Ram
    1 spare PCI slot
    Running Leopard Server

I know there are/were plenty of solutions out there but I've been unable to find anyone that will actually sell them any more. I figured I could cobble together a solution myself. Can any one help with a few pointers?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I know most aren't bootable. That being said, you can run SATA cables with two ports on them. In theory, you could take one cable running to the drive bays and replace it with a dual plug cable and run the other onboard port to the other drives.

3. lukusc thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Altemose,

I don't need to boot from it so thats fine.

Thats a great suggestion. Do you know what I would do for power?

I would prefer to add a card and expand the drive count fro 2 to 6 if possible...

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

For data, you can order some affordable cables online. Just make sure they are long enough. IIRC the G5s have two SATA ports onboard. Set SATA port 1 to run a dual head data cable up into the drive bays. Then run the second one all the way along the back of the tower to in front of the fan bays.

I am working right now so I can't pull my G5's cover off. But give me a second and I will check it out. I don't use SATA cards so I am not too knowledgeable in the area since I always go onboard. eyoungren and Intell are pretty knowledgeable in the area though.

5. lukusc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the detailed explanation. That should do nicely... Give me the extra storage I need for now.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would wait for eyoungren to come on and be able to give a detailed SATA card explanation.

7. lukusc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah a SATA card would be preferable so if anyone else has recommendations I'd love to hear them. In a pinch, as a temp solution though what you've outlined sounds pretty good.

8. Altemose, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014

Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You will need to drop a power line from the optical slot I believe. Though I have seen multihead connections, most people say not to use them.... Sorry for the mis-info but get a SATA card.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sorry guys, I don't have any recommendations. The sole SATA card I have is a 2 port card and I only got it based on what harrymatic posted in his flashing thread. The card was originally a PC card and was flashed to Mac.

Other than searching for a card that had the specs harrymatic suggested and then following his instructions I have no other experience with this.

10. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

the seritek firmtek 1v4 is a 4 port card and is bootable. ebay might be your best bet

Seritek-1v4/
    [​IMG]