4 problems with cMBP after 2 months.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markus843, Oct 29, 2012.

1. markus843 macrumors regular

Hello everyone

About 2 month ago, I got my first mac, the cheapest $1200 model. I was told that apple has the best build quality, but I am finding it very hard to believe. I've had so many problems with this mac its unreal, after owning it for 2 months. The first problem (not the worst), when I first got it, on the first day, I noticed the trackpad was uneven. After about 1 week of owning the mac, I noticed the black hinge at the back of the mac was sticking out about 2mm and if I pressed on it, there would be a crack sound. About 1 month after, my screen started to get all stiff, cracky, and very hard to move. The last problem is now about 2 days ago I noticed my hinge started to move left and right.
    This is odd because another member in my family has had the same mac for about 1 week longer than me, and he has none of these problems. If I send it in to apple (I still have the 1 year warranty that comes with it), could I send it in for repair?

Thanks,,,,,,,

Video of screen cracking - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GXmdEIJK8g

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

Take this to your local Apple Store and exchange for a new one. While Apple maintains a high build quality, given the sheer volume of machines produced there are bound to be ones that slip through the cracks.

3. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have a real apple store near me, but there are 3 apple resellers that says on apple's website that I can take in for maintenance. How would I get them to repair my mac? Do I need a receipt? Or do I need to pay?

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

In that case try calling Apple's support number and see what they say. You say it is 2 months so you should be able to call without issue.

5. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help, but I can't phone at the moment because of the storm :apple::apple:

I'll try taking it in anyways to a retailer

6. baummer macrumors 6502a

Hope you are safe and the storm passes quickly! I would say wait until the storm passes then go through Apple. It doesn't appear any of your cMBP's problems are affecting your ability to use it.

7. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm on the opposite side of the storm :). Anyways I went through the website and here is a screenshot
    I'll try going to an authorized seller, if that doesn't work out I'll just send it in :apple:

Attached Files:

8. baummer macrumors 6502a

If you're on the opposite side of the storm why can't you call Apple support? :confused:

There's nothing restricting you ... give the number a call. The red warning message only applies to iTunes Store support related calls, which yours would not be.

9. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

My phone does not work :(

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

AASPs do good work. But if your goal is to have the system replaced, you need to call Apple. The AASPs can't usually do this(I have seen exceptions, but even then they just interface with Apple on behalf of the customer).

11. markus843, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for the bother, but could you maybe take a look at the video im uploading? it's about 1 minute long and maybe you can possibly help me :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3GNqlIlIZo&feature=youtu.be

Attached Files:

• gap.jpg
      gap.jpg
      File size:
      3.6 MB
      Views:
  12. pbmagnet4 macrumors regular

mine has a gap and clicks when pushed in... ahwell

13. markus843, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

Hello Everyone ! ! !

After staring and touching my mac all around, I found something very interesting ! ! ! ! !!!

If I hold my mac with the bottom side facing me, I can see the screen is a bit un even. When I touch the screen at the edge, one side is sticking out and the other side is sticking inwards

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. baummer macrumors 6502a

Very odd. These are likely issues with the machining process, and are matters of millimeters, but nonetheless, I expect higher from Apple. Has anyone else had these kinds of issues and received a successful outcome from Apple?

15. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm about to find out, just went to an apple store and they charged me $50 to get it "looked at" and they told me to just send it to apple... :mad::mad::mad:

16. baummer macrumors 6502a

So...let's be clear. Did you go to an actual Apple retail store or an authorized service center? There's a difference there as I believe ASC's are allowed to charge a diagnostic fee, and earlier you indicated an Apple retail store was not close to you. I strongly suspect had you been able to call Apple or go to an Apple retail store you would not have been charged $50 given how young your machine is in the warranty cycle.

17. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

Retail store sadly,,

18. baummer macrumors 6502a

Okay, I'm sorry but this doesn't sound right. For a machine under warranty I've never had an Apple retail store charge me a dime to look at a machine.

Also, earlier I suggested you take it to an Apple retail store and you said this (emphasis mine), so apparently you do have an Apple retail store near you or...?

19. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

When I searched on apples website for an apple store, the only ones that showed up were about 400km away from me, so I went to "take it in for repair" and there were 3 stores around me.

Heres a pic of what store i went to

Could you tell me when you saw the pic? I forgot to block the rest of it out

Attached Files:

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd be contacting Applecare right now. The AASP you took it to has the ability to facilitate the return to Apple for service. If they won't do that for you, and charged you $50 for a diagnostic(!!!?), the are probably not following certain guidelines Apple has in place for them.

Of course, from what I can tell you're in europe, maybe Apple has different agreements with AASPs there?

21. noteple macrumors 65816

Retail stores are the worst for any type of service. They usually just send it to Apple anyway.

If you are not near an Apple Store with a Genius Bar you should contact their service group by phone.

They can get you a box and label so you can return the notebook and get it repaired, replaced before it gets worse.

DONOT forget to backup your data.

22. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

You said something about a Genius bar, I don't have one here but my best buy has something called geek squad. Is this the same thing as a genius bar?

23. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No, but I do believe that some Best Buy stores have Apple certified techs.

I just realized you're in Canada, not Europe. :eek:

24. baummer macrumors 6502a

Ah, confirms my suspicion, as that's not an official Apple retail store but an authorized service center (ASC). I'm talking about official Apple retail stores. See list here: http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

----------

No, not the same thing. Genius Bars are in official Apple retail stores and exist for situations just like this - you make an appointment at the store, take your product to the Genius Bar, explain your problem, and go from there. If it needs to be sent out for repair, they will handle that process for you or will replace your product with a new product (generally depending on what they assess the problem to be, inventory of product in-store, and how nice the Genius is).

Again though, I don't know why you didn't wait a day or two until your phone was working and call Apple. Your're 2 months into a 12 month warranty cycle and the manufacturing defects you've well-documented in this post are all cosmetic and are not preventing you from using it, so I'm not sure why you're rushing into this. You could have saved yourself $50 had you just been patient and waited for your phone to work and called Apple. Speaking of, why isn't your phone working?

25. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

Phone wasn't working because the bills weren't paid, :eek:

Anyways, I called apple, they told me to just send it in, which I'll be doing in a moment. I honestly thought that $50 would be for repairing, not a diagnosis. The person I talked to also said that some things aren't covered by the warranty, and I'd have to pay. Hopefully my problem is covered by the warranty .