4 ques.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nightsky, Apr 9, 2007.

1. nightsky macrumors member

How save my html as plain text using textedit? How do I put textedit on my desktop? When I look at menu there is Duplicate, Copy textedit, Make Alias, Create Archive of textedit? Mac has its own lingo? No clue what these options mean? Links are welcomed, too. There is a console, terminal, and activity monitor? What are these for? How do u use workflow?? Thanks

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The heck are you talking about???

Why do you want the TextEdit application on your desktop?

Why are you right-clicking on it?

What does this have to do with HTML files as plain text?

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

you save by going file/save

what do you mean by put it on your desktop, a short cut? (shortcut is also known as alias) or move the application onto your desktop (why would you do this anyway?) (you can drag the textedit to desktop, not recommended tho)

mac doesn't have its own lingo, it's pretty standard.

console is like a system log

terminal is a command line terminal emulator

activity monitor is like system status

what workflow?

4. osirisX macrumors regular

When you start a new document in TextEdit that is intended for HTML you want to make it plain text. So press :apple:+Shift+T and it will change it from Rich Text to Plain Text. Then write up as you normally would. You can create an alias of TextEdit on your desktop, but you would be much better adding it to your Dock.

A workflow is something that is part of an application called Automator. Activity Monitor is just like Task Manager in Windows. Terminal is like the Command Prompt in Windows.

5. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

Thanks osirisX

TextEdit is the one thing I use first and foremost when I open this OS for a number of things. I like writing html in plain text instead of investing tons of time learning to use a software packages that automate the process, although such software is handy to speedup production process. So I put textedit in my dock.
    Bash terminal is like booting into dos... Interesting only seen bash in linux. You could also run chat and ftp applications in the terminal? Mac keeps looking and feeling more like some flavor of linux, unix. Lots to rap my head around. Thanks again

6. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

So a gd old shortcut is called alias... I cn live w/that.

7. osirisX macrumors regular

Just so you know, Mac OS X is actually built ontop of a UNIX kernel. So that's why it feels like a Linux distro :p

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Well, truth be told, an alias and a shortcut are different things, not just different names for the same thing.

And if you're going to write HTML, I recommend something like Smultron (if you want something free) instead of TextEdit because Smultron will do syntax highlighting for you.

9. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for link

Epochblue, supper thanks for the link.. Love links in posts. I am looking at mac guide for beginners http://guides.macrumors.com/ There is a guide that directly compares tasks in windows to OS X... can't find it again.

10. Luna C macrumors newbie

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Lifehacker had a great new-to-Mac post a little while back that I've been recommending to my noob friends.

Here ya go - enjoy.