4 second delay in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by parkds, Sep 1, 2007.

1. parkds macrumors regular

I have just upgraded from a G5 Powermac to a MacPro. Since the upgrade iTunes has started behaving oddly. The is a 4 second delay every time I start a song or move the playhead within a song. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be or how to resolve it?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How did you transfer your library across? If you create a new user account, does the lag happen in iTunes there too?

3. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I have all my music on an external hard drive, after a while of not using it the drive goes to sleep, so if I start playing a song, it takes about 4 seconds to spin up and start playing, I never have any problems with moving the playhead though. It could be that the drive you are playing it off of is just too slow.

4. vasilotos macrumors newbie

3 second delay... (in my case)

This also happens on my MBP 2.33gHZ. Before my OS completely crashed it happened at all times. After I reinstalled Tiger and then upgraded to Leopard, it worked great for a time. I just noticed yesterday that the delay happens again. It may coincide in my case with the installation of a BootCamp partition, but I'm not sure about that. I wonder if it has anything to do with disk space. My disk is now just over 50% full. One of the Apple geniuses once told me that for best performance of the MBP in general, it is recommended to keep the disk no more than half full. I find this VERY irritating.

BTW: i have run Disk utility, verified the HD and repaired permissions without benefit.

5. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

You know the delay could be caused by the fact you have a large library, I have a delay but then again I have a massive library all on an external drive so I guess that also plays a part in it.

I'd put it down to large library and nothing else, Unless you don't have a large library.

Northy

6. vasilotos macrumors newbie

Library size

I'd agree with you, Northy, if my library had changed size int he last few days. It hasn't. I have about 13gb of music files. A week ago I got an instant response to changing tracks or moving to a different position in a song. Now, it takes a full 3 sec for the time ticker to start moving. I don't get it. Also, i just ran TechTool deluxe and got absolutely no errors.

What I will try next is to erase my library file and re-catalogue all my tracks.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-V

7. Coprolite macrumors member

I don't know about the large library theory....I have a CD MB 2.0 ghz and the iTunes library is 100+GB on an external firewire. I haven't had such bad lag.

Good luck finding the cause.

8. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Anything else in that library, Movies, TV Shows, Podcast etc etc? You said 13GB for just Music surely you have some Movies or TV Shows or Video Podcast which make the full library go much larger.

I have a 500GB library (As of 4 days ago) but when I had 50GB it lagged a little, But I guess it depends what the library is mainly full of.