4 TB+ External Hard drive suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jtsang777, Mar 1, 2018.

1. jtsang777 macrumors member

My 4 TB Desktop External Hard drive from Seagate died last week. Luckily I was able to recover the data just before it was a hopeless lost. Does anyone recommend sticking to Seagate or go to another brand like WD? Surprisingly it lasted me 5+ years. But I've heard that Seagate reliability has gone down recently. I wish I could consider using a simple plug and play NAS drive like 3 TB Time Capsule, but from what I've heard from reviews, those are unreliable due to overheating. Any suggestions or alternatives. Paying for online services like Backblaze are not my thing due to subscription costs.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I literally keep my Time Capsule on top of the house furnace. Now I know this isn't particularly smart, but it's the only spot that really works..... Going strong on its 4th year. I can't say if the newer ones are less reliable, but this one certainly isn't overheating

3. jeyf macrumors 65816

Seagate or WD, i usually shop at newegg. Buy form them or not but read the reviews there
    if you can afford it would go with a 5bay raid5 NAS box.

4. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I've had really good luck with Western Digital for many years and highly recommend them. They are usually priced very well and they play well with every Mac I've ever plugged one into. Mine have only been replaced when I needed more room, not because of any issues with them. Back when I was in computer sales we hardly ever recommended Seagate's to folks, as they had a pretty significant failure rate. I would hope they have improved over the years. Get a WD and you'll not regret it.