4 TB My Book Studio II

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by boatcapt, Mar 12, 2013.

1. boatcapt macrumors member

Has anyone had any experience with these? I would like to put my itunes movie folder on one of these drives. Then do time machine back up to the other. I have a TBD, I would hook the drive up via firewire. If I had the drive hooked up would time machine back up the pro and 1
    drive to the second drive? Thanks in advance.

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

These drives don't work like that. You don't see both drives separately. You either set up RAID0 or RAID1, and you see one logical drive on your computer.

3. smellalot macrumors 6502

IIRC that drive does not support JBOD mode - only RAID 0 and 1.
    The version with thunderbolt does however.

So, no.

4. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up. Just when you think you got something figured out, lol. So I would be better off buying to seperate drives then? I want to put itunes movies on a seperate drive so I don't take up hard drive space on my laptop, but still have my music on there. Then back everthing up.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Your best bet is two separate drives, probably two capacities also - e.g. a 1TB drive for your movies, then a 2TB drive for Time Machine to back up both the internal and the 1TB movie drive. (Of course that could be 2TB/4TB or whatever is appropriate for your storage space needs)

6. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

So if I got two regular My Book Studio's, how would I hook them up? Plug the one that has the movies and other things up through firewire and plug the "Backup" drive into a USB?

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Both on Firewire would be my recommendation. They'll daisy-chain together.

8. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

I think I've found a better alternative.

OWC dual enclosure http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEPQ946QL2/

Seagate drives 119.00 each with discount code http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

That would give me 3 TB worth of movie storage, which I'll never get close to I don't think and 3 TB for time machine. The enclosure comes with one Firewire 800 cable, I would just need to get 1 short cable to daisy chain the drives together on the back of the enclosure. I like the idea of being able to swap the drives out painlessly if I need to or increase my drive size. Does my plan look good? Will this work? Thanks for all of your help.

9. smellalot macrumors 6502

You don't need to daisy chain them if they are in one enclosure.
    I'm sure it'll work but personally I wouldn't buy an external hard drive without USB 3 at this moment.

10. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

Both my mac pro and TBD do not have USB 3 and I plan on hooking the drives up to the display via firewire. It would be a while before I upgrade, so I can live without USB 3.

11. Giuly, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I'd rather go with the fastest possible solution - a Gigabit Ethernet NAS, like the Western Digital MyBook Live (or the MyBook Live Duo).
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    They are TimeMachine compatible, and you can store your iTunes Library along with the backups. They also have Dropbox integrated and let you access your dimes on the go, even from a smartphone.

The better option however would be the Synology DS212j, which is not only TimeMachine compatible, but also has an iTunes server built-in. Instead of Dropbox, it has 'DS cloud'.
    [​IMG]

12. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

I have the 2TB version, I was using it in RAID 0 and used OSX disk utility to create two partitions - 1 for iTunes and the other for TM. There is no redundancy in this configuration but I have a separate backup mechanism.

13. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Don't do the my book live. I have that now and backups are SLOOOOOOOWWWW. Time Machine NEVER sees the back-up and always has to do a full-system backup. I'm currently having to back up my system again and the estimated time is 7 DAYS!!!!

14. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Did you set it up properly?

15. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Pretty sure I did, but i'll check later on those instructions

16. troy14 macrumors 6502a

17. Radiating, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

Radiating macrumors 65816

Just an FYI don't get any of WD's higher capacity multi bay drives. I'm a huge fan of their portable my passport drives, but their NAS drives are incredibly incredibly horrible. The reason is simple, a SATA to USB passthrough is super cheap to build so all that has to happen is you build it right, WD is great at manfacturing. Design and engineering? Not so much.

WD's larger capacity drives and NAS' have internal processors firmware etc etc, and they cut so many corners with them it blows your mind. They have the worst possible hardware, the most underdeveloped half baked firmware, and the whole system is abysmal.

Because the hardware is the slowest in the industry their RAID enclosures and NAS drives will be super flakey. We're talking freezing every 3 hours and transfering at 10 mb/s, when you should be getting upwards of 80 mb/s.

Also the firmware is installed on the drives themselves because WD is too cheap to spring for an external firmware box, so if one drive fails, it doesn't go into degraded RAID mode, it just stops working. WTF? This is the worst possible implementation of RAID 1 I have ever seen.

Anyways like I said if you're looking for anything more than a $5 SATA to USB passthrough, or SATA to thunderbolt passthrough attatched to a drive steer clear of WD. These guys make $200 enclosure with $30 of parts and then sell them as $140-$300 enclosures. (though again the hardware failure rate for WD is lower because they manufacture things well, it's just everything else that's wrong)

I've also looked at all other manufacturers that do NAS RAID drives and they are so incredibly bad. If they don't get the hardware horribly wrong, they get the software or firmware horribly wrong.

LACIE, Promise, everyone

The level of incompetence with NAS RAID drives is somewhere between North Korean missile program, and three stooges.

The only two manufacturers that you can trust farther than you can throw are Synology and QNAP.

Go with anyone else and you will see a CONSISTENT 25%-40% failure rate after 2 years, with super flakey performance.

Synology has a much better 8% failure rate after 2 years, which is 4-5 times lower AND their products perform flawlessly.

QNAP will be a little more buggy, flakey and have a higher 13% failure rate, but their products are still well above and beyond the cheap junk everyone else will sell you.

What I imagine WD's egineering department discussing:

Employee 1: You know this NAS seems to work great but you know the one thing I noticed is that you included a 2.0ghz atom processor with 512mb of ram. Those cost $38, and on a $700 product that's 5% of our profit margin. What can you do with an 800mhz processor and 256mb of ram? That costs $20 less and will improve profit by 3%, and you know that $10 fan you have? That is 1.5% of your profit. Remove that.

Employee 2: That sounds like an insanley bad idea, I'm pretty sure that will make the customers very unhappy. For what, $32 in proft?

Employee 1: Ha ha ha ha customers!

Employee 2: Ha ha ha ha that was a good joke. Also lets get rid of the 1GB of flash memory for the firmware, that costs us 3 bucks.

Employee 1: Good idea. Then we'll market the whole thing as "blazing fast".

18. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

The only reason I didn't get LaCei before was because I was impatient and best buy had something I could buy off of the shelf... will never make that mistake again.

19. Giuly, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

As far as the fan goes, the 2-bay WD drives use the stack effect to remove excess heat, which cuts down the noise. On 4-bay enclosures, a fan is a good idea, though.

20. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Throwing out failure rate percentages - where is your source?

I've had great experience with Netgear ReadyNAS units.