4 to 4S and same time G5 to MacBook Pro Lion

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JohnCalif, Oct 13, 2011.

1. JohnCalif macrumors member

I currently have a iPhone 4 that I sync with iTunes running on a PowerPC G5, with OS X v 10.5. I'm getting an iPhone 4S tomorrow and I want to transfer contents of the 4 to the 4S and in the future sync my 4S to iTunes on my MacBook Pro, currently running Snow Leopard, but I'm going to upgrade that to Lion.

This is my plan, but curious if there is a better way to go.

1) Perform another backup from my iPhone 4 to the G5.

2) Activate the iPhone 4S with iTunes on the the G5 to get contents from the iPhone 4.

3) Sync the iPhone 4S with iTunes on my MacBook Pro running Lion.

Are there any problems first activating the 4S on an older OS X, for any reason, specifically getting and syncing with iCloud?

2. njaremka macrumors 6502

i would wait until you get the macbook pro before activating the 4s. then, sync and backup the 4 with the pro, then activate the 4s. one less step. plus, you might not be able to sync the 4s back onto the macbook pro once its been set-up on the g5.

3. JohnCalif thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I already have the pro. Just need to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion, which I will do tonight. Just to clarify: The 4 has never synced with the pro. I will do that first. Then when the 4S comes, I will go though the standard process of replacing one iPhone with another, per Apple's instructions.