4-Track / Garageband for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by LeeTom, Jul 19, 2008.

1. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Is it technically feasible for multitrack audio recording app to be written for the iPhone? Are there any developers out there working on this? I'm practically ready to write it myself! If I could go down to the practice space, dock my iPhone and have it set up for recording and jamming with tracks, I would be SET!

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I may have a go at writing something like this, as it would be beneficial to me aswell as many others as you say.

I'm in the developer program, so getting it onto the store wouldn't be a problem. ;)

We'll see.

R-Fly

3. LeeTom thread starter macrumors 68000

LeeTom

please do! All it has to start is have 4 tracks with volume and pan!

4. hellodon macrumors 6502

This seems ilke it would be way too intense for iPhone...hell, a few tracks on my old Powerbook would slow down and run Garage Band choppy...I can't even imagine if you have like a 5 minute song and lay 4 tracks down....I don't think it has the processing power.

5. LeeTom thread starter macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Make sample rates 22/8... Although I doubt that would be necessary given some of the other music apps out there. Only need a minute of recording with loop to make it useful

6. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Anyone with vision and talent should start writing it right now because the iPhone is only going to get more powerful and the SDK and base OS increasingly more sophisticated and feature rich.

Even if you spend 6 months getting something to record one then play 4 mono tracks at once ( which considering it can currently play a stereo audio file whilst running a game shouldn't be too hard) then I guarantee that by the time iPhone 3 is released in July next year they'll have doubled the performance of the hardware with the new chips from Semi PA and further increased the OS speed with the 30% efficiencies from Snow Leopard.

I would expect something seriously radical from iPhone 3.0 on the hardware front.

Basically, even if you think iPhone 2.0 may not currently be the ultimate platform for a true portable DAW - I would bet 6 months of your weekends and evenings that iPhone 3.0 will...

7. newbreednet macrumors newbie

Finally!!!!!!

Yeah!!! :D :D :cool:

Finally there is a simple 4-track app on the app store, called "4-Track Lite'. All it does is all we wanted (for starters anyway, right :p) - i.e. it records audio from the microphone onto 4 separate tracks.

It's very basic but could be the foundation of something wonderful.

Rock!

8. AKmike macrumors newbie

4 track lite does indeed look like a start in the right direction. Now we just need a decent mic to plug in. I'm very excited about the prospect of using the Touch for demoing new songs. Now I use Garageband and it's great but not as portable as the touch obviously.
    I'm glad other people agree that this platform holds promise for recording audio. I see a lot of talk about VOIP but when I saw the mic input thing my first thought was FIELD RECORDER!!