4 ways to cancel Sprint contracts to move to iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cabrewolf, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Cabrewolf macrumors member

4 ways to get out of Sprint that are better than paying $200.

1: If you do not have free roaming, the changes to roaming fees that take effect in August are material and allow you to cancel without the fee. Call and ask to cancel and do not accept the offer to add free roaming for $X.

2: If you have free roaming, force your phone into roaming and call a number that you can stay on the line with all night every night. Use your free night and weekends to rack up roaming. If Sprint does not call you in a month, call and complain about sound quality that you are getting because you office/home/etc does not have good reception and forces you to roam.

3: You can reduce your fee by switching you plan to the $20 per month "emergency plan." So long as you have less than about 18 months (due to taxes) left on your plan, it is a better deal. You can also disconnect the phone and sell it to make up some of the difference.

4: Use the buy a phone on amazon with 2 year ATT contract and sell trick to easily make up for the $200 charge. of course, this trick can be used in conjunction with 1-3 to reduce the iPhone price by about $300. (I sold my free Nokia N75 for $300).

Good luck. And, for those who say this is wrong. Try having spring constantly charge you for the wrong features or the wrong amount, while never making the error in your favor and being unable to do anything about it because it is not worth a lawsuit for $50 bucks here 2 hours on the phone there etc.

Wolf

2. Brando macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips. What do you have to do to get on an emergency plan?

The agent I talked to said they don't have anything like that and I would have to renew my contract for 2 years to change to the lowest minutes plan.

3. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Hey nice post but I have a question - Where'd you get the free N75? I don't see it listed on Sprint's site at all.

I was happy to hear you made $300 on that, and I have an upgrade with AT&T to take advantage of, but looks like AT&T charges $150 for this phone online, less a $50 mail in rebate. I'm not sure that's worth it, based on the eBay completed listings this phone is going for around $200-$250 from what I saw.

Anyways, just curious. I could use a few extra bucks. :p

4. cdp1276 macrumors member

cdp1276

I'm not with Sprint but I saw a segment on CNN a week ago or so that said they were reducing the amount of times you can call into customer service to like 4 per month. They said that if anyone had a problem with that you can cancel your account.

I was like WOW, are they going out of business!!

5. Amblinman macrumors regular

If you're switching to an iPhone from another carrier, I can't imagine the EFT being prohibitive to your decision. I completely disagree with the OP's defense of doing stuff like this, though. You sign a contract, you should honor the commitment or be willing to pay the penalty.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

See people look at the ETF all wrong. Say you have a 2yr contract with Sprint. You are only 6 months into your contract and you want to switch carriers. Well you could pay them your monthly rate * 18 (say 60*18) or you can pay them 200 dollars. For me staying on contract with them for another 18 months was not an option it was much much cheaper to just pay the ETF and move on.

7. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

probably THE most effective way is to :

complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain complain

They'll drop you faster than chaney dropping his gay daughter's wedding invite.

8. Amblinman macrumors regular

If I really hated my carrier or I absolutely fell in love with another product and liked that carrier as well (switching carriers based on devices alone is stupid), I'd have no problem paying the EFT. $175 isn't small, but if you're really miserable it shouldn't keep you from getting out of a bad situation.

9. Offspring992 macrumors member

As an employee for Sprint, (with an iPhone haha) I can definitely say that #1 will not work anymore because you had to call by June 30th I believe but I can look into it. #3 doesn't exist. There is no $20 "emergency plan." The cheapest plan is a $29.99 200 minute plan. I mean, you could always do what I did, which was work for the company. I had a 2 year contract with Sprint that started in November of 2006 and when the iPhone got announced in January I tried to think of ways out, and the one that made most sense to me was that if I worked for them, I could A. get free service, B. Not have to pay an ETF when I quit, and C. Make more money than at my previous job so I could save up for the iPhone. Another thing you can do is try and get someone else to take over your plan but you can keep your number. This is also a good idea for all you SERO folks out there.

10. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

but what about the complain complain complain option? that seemed to work for 1100 people.

11. Cabrewolf thread starter macrumors member

I'd double check about the $20 plan. I just checked my account online, and I indead do have the $20 plan that was promised to me. It includes 150 anytime minutes and that is all. The account services person actually suggested it to me when she saw I only had about 3 months on one of my accounts.

As for teh question re the NOkia N75. I was talking about the free phone you get when you sign up with AT&T. Don't forget to get a free phone for signing a two year contract with a new carrier, then swap the iphone for your new phone and sell.

Finally, a friend got out of sprint yesterday by signing a lease in a location that did not have coverage (fake lease). I had heard they did not allow you out for this anymore, but she faxed in the lease and they let her out. Not a bad deal.

Wolf