4 x 3.5 bay HDD Enclosure for iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by InfiniteDeath, Jun 20, 2013.

1. InfiniteDeath macrumors newbie

I've finally decided to bite the bullet on a new iMac 27 and am now looking for a new HDD enclosure for my old PC's drives(3xHDD, 1xSSD) one of which includes an SSD that I would still like to run Bootcamp off of. Is there anything that is reasonably cheap that could do this?

2. EricT43 macrumors regular

I don't have any experience with multi-drive enclosures, but you might want to see what OWC has.

Be aware that you cannot put a Bootcamp partition on an external drive. OS X only allows you to put Bootcamp on the internal drive.

3. InfiniteDeath thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's put a spanner to my plans. Looks like I'll need to un-fusion my internal HDD and partition the SSD in half.

4. EricT43 macrumors regular

Indeed. I'm sure many people would rejoice if we could put Bootcamp on an external. I know I would! I have a 256GB SSD on my MBP and that partition eats up a generous portion of it.

5. Giuly, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The Mediasonic ProBox is one option, but what I see people using with the new Mac Pro is the Vantec enclosure, at least those who don't go for Thunderbolt or something with a RAID built-in. Both are $99.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

Not totally true...there are workarounds (see Google) if you have a thunderbolt enclosure (or a Seagate Thunderbolt adapter might work too)

7. EricT43 macrumors regular

Interesting...I'll look into it!

8. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Anybody here have the Vantec enclosure? Looks really nice!

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I went with the ProBox on my Mac Mini. Works great, very quiet, price is right. I'm running it as straight USB 3.0.

10. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

I use the probox 8bay for my hackintosh via usb 3. although I'm not sure if you can run bootcamp off of a drive.