4 year macbook pro applecare? edu store.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macaco74, Feb 27, 2010.

1. macaco74 macrumors regular

Has this always been available?

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/product/S3137LL/A?mco=MTM4NDQxMjE

Select your product:
    AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll
    $239.00

4 yr. AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro/PowerBook - Auto Enroll
    $549.00

It seems a bit steep to add 1 additional year of coverage for an additional $310.

I got to this page by configuring a 17" macbook pro, adding applecare coverage and then clicking on the applecare link in the cart (just to review coverage details). This is in the education store.

2. iSax1234 macrumors regular

I don't know how long this has been there either. I noticed it a little while back when i was configuring a 15 inch for college, but I didn't know it existed either. I considered buying it seeing as the apple care would last me through college. Then i realized that for 1 year I'd rather take my chances. I guess the probability of breaking goes up enough to jusitfy the steep price increase? Either way it's a lot for one year.

3. DaWooster macrumors member

Huh. I see it, but it's curious that it optionally covers the PowerBook, considering those've been discontinued a while ago. That and #overview doesn't have anything other then the header.

4. devils punchbow macrumors member

Auto enroll ? What does this mean ? Don't you have to purchase the care ? It's not auto anything, right ? Always curious about what that meant.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Auto-enroll means that if you do decide to go with AppleCare, they will enroll it for you and just send you the box/documentation for proof you have AppleCare.

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I've seen it. When you follow a link from a college site it's there. Makes sense because the students are attending a 4yr college. Regular ED. Apple Care is a total of three years (1 yr. manufactor + 2 years Apple Care) so one more year won't hurt. It's a little steep ($310 more). I'm guessing it all depends on what your school has signed up for with Apple. I would contact your school to make sure it's valid.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've never seen this product, but the price makes me want to believe that the it extends the original one year for four additional years. I've drank the kool-aid (tasty) and even I wouldn't touch the four yr applecare if it were for only one additional year on top of the extended two. I realize that the lifecycle for these machines is, reasonably, less than five years, so I know my claim might be a little extreme too, but as the price is over one half of the two year price, it's reasonable.

Anyway when I typed in my zip I only got the law school of my local large uni vs the six or seven schools plus the main campus so...even If I tried to purchase this for my next machine I may not be eligible because i'm not one of those brainiac hoity toity law students :/

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

So I talked to the Apple store ppl over chat and they told me what macaco74 and mofunk described. I would have purchased this in a heart beat to make my mbp usability five years :eek: but only one extra year for 310 bucks? Ha. no thanks :D

9. Crath macrumors newbie

I'm buying my MBP at best buy. 3 years of black-tie (covers anything, including accidental damage) for $300 something. totally worth it