4 year old G5's compared to todays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eclipse, Jan 3, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all, my wife's machine was bought about 4 years ago and has the following stats. She's a graphic designer. How does it compare to today's G5 towers and should she upgrade now or wait for something big that might be coming out just around the corner?

(When she upgrades I can get this machine below and do some "assistant design" stuff and home movies!:D I'm currently on a 1999 G4 that's starting to clunk.)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It might be a sign that the Power Mac G5 isn't sold anymore...

I suggest getting a faster hard drive and more RAM.

3. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

So the 4 year old hard drives can be a limit to CPU? What... retrieving the data? And the RAM is more important than the increased CPU power of modern machines?

I guess you're being kind and looking at saving us some serious $$$$.

(In your best kids whining voice... "But when do I get MY nice shiny mac!? :(:(:()

OK, whining over.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A 10,000 RPM hard drive would improve access times and more RAM would prevent paging to hard disk.

It's much cheaper then a new Mac.

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

If you wait a few weeks or so, they will have updated the Mac Pro, which is the Intel version of the PowerMac G5.

I presume it will come standard with 8-Cores, (8 Processors).

The current Mac Pro is about 2-3x faster than the Fastest G5 that Apple produced, which was the Quad G5.

You're looking at a big performance jump, I'm thinking up to 6-8x faster, which might be exaggeration.

Ram is important, you need at least 4 gigs, ram comes cheap if you buy outside of Apple, same applies to Hard Drives as well.

Unless that G5 is really slowing you down and you feel a faster Mac would make you a lot more productive, then go the Mac Pro route.

Otherwise, upgrade it, it doesn't cost that much and will save you lots of money.

6. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Might be a good time to sell it as a graphics machine, as it would still preform most tasks very well. You'll get a good price for it now, but if you leave it another 2 years it'll end up gathering dust somewhere.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yeah, it's cheaper, but whether or not it would be effective depends on what the bottleneck is in eclipse's wife's system. If she's maxing out the processors with RAM to spare then adding more isn't going to do anything.

IMO after the new mac pros are released would be a great time to upgrade a 4 year old G5. But again, whether that makes sense depends on what the limiting factor in the current machine is.

8. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

She's got 4 Gig's Ram (on lots of little RAM chips... you remember the days of 250 mb chips?)

And she's got 2 of these hard drives...

What were the RPM's of these guys?

I'm hearing that the next machine is going to be way cool and FAST!

9. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Slightly not on topic, but I've been with my Macbook for 18 months now and I still miss the speed of my single 1.8 G5 PowerMac.

Back on topic, I got a chance to use a pair of Raptor HDs (the 10K SATA kind) RAID striped for about a week when I had my PowerMac and it was startling how responsive my computer became. That and cleaning up the finder (i.e. removing all the orphaned files lying around on my desktop) made Panther scream, I can only imagine what it would do for Leopard.

EDIT: It looks like your "ST3160023AS" hard drives are 7200 RPM.

10. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

My box still rocks for what I do. 4GB RAM keeps Ps snappy. Until the real estate business turns around (I shoot virtual tours) I'll be just fine.

11. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

i have a dual 1.8GHz G5 with a gig of ram. it is FAST. I haven't used a new mac pro, but even the macbook pros can't touch it. For a 4 year old computer it can still hold its own.

the G5s came with 7200rpm SATA drives. upgrading to a 10k rpm drive that could be used to store all her projects would help. Also more ram. this mac can hold 16GB of ram lol. ram is so cheap now days. Go get like 2-4 sticks of 1gig ram. The G5s take PC3200, or DDR400 ram. Same ram, just different ways of saying it.

12. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I've been looking at stats and asking around and the current mac pro towers will be quite a bit faster then that g5 even though it's quite a powerful machine itself. However, if you will be getting rid of your g4 and cycling the g5 to you, then maybe it's a good time to get a new mac pro for the wife :)

Definitely just sit and wait for about 2 weeks and see what is offered after macworld. At that point, probably think about getting what will then be the lowest tier mac pro then (which like was mentioned will probably be 8 cores for most of them and newer processors) which will wipe the floor with that g5 :) and get you the most for your money.

Upgrade the hardrives and ram by yourself though through 3rd party though and not through apple. Cheaper option. :)

anyway. Upgrading now may be good if you can afford it go ahead. You can still get a little money for the powermac g4 ... a couple hundred anyway probably depending on specs which will cover the extra ram and harddrive expense for the new mac pro and then you can snag the g5 from her hehe.

from what i've read she will definitely see a nice performance boost.

Goodluck and join the wait for macworld!

13. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

I love you all, and would have your children for you — if I wasn't an Aussie bloke. ;)

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nah pretty sure a mbp would outperform that in nearly all categories

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have to agree.

16. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

(Sticks hand up)
    Oh oh oh!!!!

Anyone got a diagram for how to actually stick in the RAM or hard drives I get? (In Yellow, you know, "Sticking in extra RAM and Hard-drives without killing your computer or electrocuting yourself — For Dummies!"):)

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian