40% 1 item at Apple per year.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wakerider017, Apr 7, 2007.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I heard that Apple store employees get 40% 1 item at Apple per year.

Is this true? If so how long do you have to work there to get a discount?

Currently going to college and I don't have a job during fall and spring semesters.

I would like a job at Apple this summer and 40% off a mac pro would be nice.

Any other perks to being employed at an Apple store?

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I think the purpose of 'student' work is to make money, get experience of have something to do; not to get a 40% discount.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I've spoken with a couple Apple Sales reps; although they don't work at the Mothership (one in AZ and one in VA), they mentioned it was more in the neighborhood of around 25%.

I'd take 25%...

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

From what I've heard...and this was a while ago, there are periods during the year when they could get a bigger discount than 25% on select items. I also think they either not allowed to or discouraged from using the discount to buy items as soon as they are released.

5. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Well I like apple computers, and I am going to spend money on them anyway. Why not get a discount?

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I did not say don't get the discount, I just think if that is the sole reason you intend to work, then its a little 'off'.

7. osx-linux macrumors member

I heard it was the same pricing you see in the apple developer store. I cannot, however, confirm this. I believe I read that on these forums somewhere or another.

If you are a student, you can join the developer program for $99, and get a once in a lifetime purchase from the developer store, including the mac pro. Which, for a base octo-mac it will chop about $800 off the price even when you including the $99 cost of joining the developer program. Chops about $400 off the base quad-mac pro. And for the sub $2500 comps its not as 'excellent' of deal as there are plenty of other options, edu store/refurbs/amazon etc but your mileage may vary.

So employees save the $99 fee, but joining the dev program is probably easier then getting a job at Apple. :D

8. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

My sole purpose is not to get the discount. I need a summer job anyway. :D

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well if you intend on getting a job at any Apple store for the soul purpose of the discount then I seriously doubt they would hire you. My understanding is the process is often selective just to get an interview because the amount of apps they get is insane. This all comes from former employees. Current employees can't really talk much and they do stay fairly tight-lipped.
    That said, go try and get the job, when you do, get your discount and quit. I'm sure the resume builder move you're about to make will do you just fine in the future.

10. Klrbee25 macrumors member

Man, you guys are busting this guy up for no good reason. Let him apply for the job for any reason he chooses. If he does the work, he'll get the benefits including a discount on their products. I don't understand why everyone has to jump on somebody just because his reasoning for a job doesn't agree with yours. Chill out.

11. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I think its a 6 month minimum @ apple before the 25% discount on the whole order not 1 item.. You can't get latest n greatest with your discount ..

Then you get (3) discounts of 15% each for family n friends :eek:

How i know this info ? You may ask yourself: well it was posted in the benefits area in jobs.apple.com ..

I'm not apple corp. nor ex-employee of Apple retail

12. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Yes, from what I've heard is that the selection process and subsequent training is much like Ranger school or SFAS(Special Forces Assesment & Selection). You're subjected to physically and mentally challenging scenarios that'll test your intestinal fortitude. I've even heard stories of Apple Store candidates strapping Mac Pros to their backs and conducting a 20 click movement(20,000 meters) into the bush, by night with nothing more than a lensatic compass and map. Or you'll be asked to completely strip down a fully loaded Mac Pro and reassemble while being berated and belittled by the instructors. Obviously not for the weak or faint of heart. On a more serious note, you may not be hired if they feel you're too young and will likely not be around in the long run. But then again, what more do you have to lose? Stroll in, request an application, fill that bad boy out with whatever work experience you may have and hope for the best. :D

FYI: Bring extra undies should you attend Apple Store school o' hard knocks. You will soil yourself, guaraaaanted.

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i say go for it. i took up a summer job once at a golf course to get free golf and discounts on clubs, and it was really worth it. any money i would have made anywhere else would have gone towards things i got for free like balls, food and golf. i got a little extra money and got clubs at an insane discount. if you need work anyway, why not work towards the discount?

14. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

Yes, this info is correct. I have friends at apple, and one of them bought my ipod for me using the 15% discount. The only issue with that is he had to buy it, and I had to send him the money.

15. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Holy crap batman, read the rest of the thread before you flame.

I need a SUMMER job with or without a discount. I am not trying to get a job for 1 day, get the discount, then quit. I was just asking since I will only be there for about 3 months will I still get the discount. I always let the company know I will only be working for the summer during the interview.

Drink some Miller and relax. :rolleyes:

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Heh, the sole reason I signed up as a student developer was to get the 15% hardware discount :cool:

17. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Was that 15% hardware discount used in conjunction with the education discount?

18. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Looks like I will be doing that when I am ready for my Mac Pro.

Now is that 15% off 1 item or 1 order?

I would really like to get an Apple display if I got the Mac Pro...

19. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I think a job is slightly different.

Definitly go for the job, I didn't mean to come off as sounding anti to you applying.

20. osx-linux macrumors member

You should probably look around on apple's website for the apple developer connection, student developer program. It will have all of the current restrictions on the hardware purchase program etc, and certainly will have more detail that we can give you. Moreover, find the developer store link in all that info and browse around the dev store and check out the prices etc.

Note that the student developer program gives you a once in a lifetime discount, you will never be able to get another system with the student developer discount again.

21. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

It's off one order.

Nuc

22. BestBuyBoy macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

Good God I swear half of you have been brainwashed by some Apple Medicine Man... Apple is a major retailer like every other retailer in the world. They exist for one reason and one reason only.. to make a profit and to distribute those profits to thier shareholders. That said, just like Sears, JC Penney or the GAP, they give their employees the discount the day they begin. Apple has every reason to get a Macbook in this kids hands the first day so he can go home and play with the thing and to learn everything he can so he can talk with some authroity to his customers. Wouldnt be too swift if Apple had a guy selling Mac's who tells customers that he would buy one if he could afford it.. or better, he is still using his PC because Apples are too expensive. Come on people.. you put Apple on this pedestal and flame anyone who talks bad about your God.. good grief.. I just scratch my head and say.. god the mrketing genius who got these people loving this brand should be awarded the peace prize or something..

23. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I agree, but not to that extent. Yall are acting like the people who work at Footlocker and Finishline arent there to get exclusive discounts on Jordans...or what about the Abercrombie & Fitch employees? I mean cmon. I've worked places for the discount and it was worth it-well, except that your paycheck is going back into the store. That's when I wised up and stopped working retail so I could actually keep my money. :D

no harm in what you're doing though...i mean why not?

24. nkadlac macrumors newbie

Exactly, cut the kid some slack. The reason why discounts exist is because turnover rates are so high that they are added benefits to the job to attract some cheap workers. Do you think they lose sleep over someone working 20 hrs a week to save 15% on one of their own products? Hell, the kids money is going right back into the company! It's a win win.