MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

High-end audio maker Audeze is currently offering 40 percent off the suggested retail price of its SINE closed-back on-ear headphones, including the company's own all-digital CIPHER Lightning cable.

The award-winning Audeze SINE cans feature proprietary planar magnetic drivers for improved dynamics and frequency response, are lightweight (300 grams), and fold flat for travel use.

Audeze-800x419.jpg

The premium leather headphones also carry Apple's Made for iPhone specification, which means users can plug them in with a Lightning connector for higher quality audio than offered by a 3.5mm jack or a Bluetooth connection.

With that in mind, Audeze's discount on its SINE headphones includes the optional CIPHER Lightning cable, which houses a digital signal processor, digital-to-analog converter (DAC), microphone, and headphone amplifier.

Using the promo code SUMMER17 during checkout, customers can pick up a pair of SINE headphones with CIPHER Lightning cable for $299 (usually $499), or SINE with standard cable for $249 (usually $449).

The offer ends June 21 and the promo code only works on the Audeze website. Free standard shipping is included on all orders for customers in the U.S., including Hawaii and Alaska.

Article Link: 40% Discount on Audeze SINE Headphones With DAC Lightning Cable Ends June 21

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
This is actually a solid deal, damn I'm over seas for a while I'm missing out.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I feel like Apple has thrown companies that support Lightning audio under the bus. Audeze was one of the first companies to the table with a well thought out quality product after Apple introduced Lightning audio specs in late 2015. But almost two years later, there's still absolutely no support for Lightning headphones outside of iOS. Audeze makes a separate analogue cable for these, meaning if a customer wants to use them with their iPhone 7 and a MacBook. They'll have to carry both cables, or buy the less expensive analogue version and use Apples $9 Lightning adapter.

If a customer only uses these headphones with iOS, then these make sense. But for anyone who switches between multiple devices, they're better off with an analogue solution.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
This is an incredible deal for anyone who loves music. An amazing pair of headphones at an even more amazing price. Highly recommended.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
$50 premium for lightning... yikes. Can't imagine the license fee is anywhere near that much.

It's not just a Lightning cable. It includes a DAC/AMP inside of it that significantly improves the audio quality. These headphones shouldn't be driven off of a 3.5mm unamped.

That being said this is a great deal I've been mulling over the past few days. This is the cheapest way to get Audeze's planar magnetic sound, which costs up to $4,000 in their highest-end models.

Maybe the best way is to purchase it and find out for myself how stunning they are. Just a little apprehensive since I think we'll start seeing more excellent wireless headphones this year as well.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
It's not just a Lightning cable. It includes a DAC/AMP inside of it that significantly improves the audio quality. These headphones shouldn't be driven off of a 3.5mm unamped.

That being said this is a great deal I've been mulling over the past few days. This is the cheapest way to get Audeze's planar magnetic sound, which costs up to $4,000 in their highest-end models.

Maybe the best way is to purchase it and find out for myself how stunning they are. Just a little apprehensive since I think we'll start seeing more excellent wireless headphones this year as well.

They may not be best utilized with an un-amped 3.5mm output, but it would sure be nice to have the option rather than carrying around two sets of headphones or cables to be ready for any situation. Not sure why anyone would want to buy such superior headphones only to use with inferior iOS devices, and nothing else.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
They may not be best utilized with an un-amped 3.5mm output, but it would sure be nice to have the option rather than carrying around two sets of headphones or cables to be ready for any situation. Not sure why anyone would want to buy such superior headphones only to use with inferior iOS devices, and nothing else.

They also come with a 3.5mm cable, they're not hardwired to only be used with Lightning.

Unfortunately I tried to buy on the 21st when it was supposed to end (I assumed at midnight) and the promotion was already over. Probably for the best, I'm spoiled by wireless headphones.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
They also come with a 3.5mm cable, they're not hardwired to only be used with Lightning.

Unfortunately I tried to buy on the 21st when it was supposed to end (I assumed at midnight) and the promotion was already over. Probably for the best, I'm spoiled by wireless headphones.

I'm well aware that there's a 3.5mm analogue cable that can be used with them. But that's kind of the problem I have -- it's one thing to carry a simple 1-inch adapter around, easily snapped onto the business end of the connector; it's quite another to carry an extra spool of wire around that has to be unwound, hopefully not tangled, while the Lightning cable has to be carefully removed from the right and left side of the cans, wound up so that it doesn't tangle and put away, and the new cable carefully attached to the right and left sides, before finally plugging it in. And what happens if you're switching between your Lightneing device and a friends 3.5mm device during the same sitting? It's a mess and Apple created it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.