Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
As I've gotten older I've come to realize what a waste of money clothes are. When I started making a bit more money I spent money on some nice clothes and my mom just messes them up each time she does the wash, they come out really dry or with bleach spots, or fall apart in some way or another. So I don't buy new clothes now, the ones that have made it through the wash this long are sturdy enough to keep me going for a while.

What are the things I splurge on? (And that's what you're really asking about, a splurge idea, because most people wouldn't spend $40 for the hell of it, but you have to, which is interesting).

With $40 I HAD to spend, I would rent some movies I had wanted to see, buy a good face moisturizer with sunblock, buy some Simply Saline nasal spray (which is surprisingly expensive about $7), and some candy and popcorn to enjoy the movies with, oh and a magazine, I hardly ever get magazines, but they are fun, like Esquire and GQ both have interesting article sometimes, plus free cologne samples, and you can cut out the pictures of the hot men and keep them for a collection if you have one.

EDIT: If there's money left over get sunglasses. I'm always losing mine, and need them this time of the year. Good to have lots of them around.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
Probably one of these:
-A Grado Black cartridge for my turntable
-TCC TC-750 Phono Preamp
-AMP6 DIY kit from 41hz.com
-$40 worth of vinyl from flea markets, ebay and such

(I just started to build my first decent vinyl setup a couple of days ago around a Technics SL-Q2 turntable)

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Save it for when you need/want something!

You'll learn later that having money and having nothing to spend it on is very rare and quite a good thing.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
As I've gotten older I've come to realize what a waste of money clothes are. When I started making a bit more money I spent money on some nice clothes and my mom just messes them up each time she does the wash, they come out really dry or with bleach spots, or fall apart in some way or another. So I don't buy new clothes now, the ones that have made it through the wash this long are sturdy enough to keep me going for a while.

How about you do your own washing so that your clothes are actually washed in the way they are meant to be. Crazy suggestion I know...

Clarence

macrumors regular

So basically your saying you've given up on life. Nice! :p

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
Two six-packs of Sam Adams cream stout, (or the beer of your choice) some really good cold cuts, (Bologna, genoa Salami, Turkey) and some chips.

Rent a good "guy's movie" and invite two buddies over.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
For $40 I would go out to Abercrombie and get a shirt. Make it $50 and you can get 2 t-shirts or 1 polo. A lot of stuff is on sale right now, some of it isn't that great though.

American Eagle has plaid shorts on sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.