$400 for used CD 1.66 Mini Reasonable?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mitsu13gman, Feb 11, 2008.

1. mitsu13gman macrumors newbie

The full specs are:
    1.66GHz CD (NOT C2D)
    2G Ram
    80G HD
    Superdrive
    Tiger
    no AppleCare

Mac2Sell lists the value at $650, which seems a bit inflated (not that I really have a basis for comparison), but $400, assuming perfect functionality, seems reasonable, yes? Even given that it's a CD and not a C2D?

It would be my first Apple computer to own (after using ]['s, ][+'s, and ][GS's back in junior high), and seems like a reasonable way to wet my feet. I'm currently using a 2.8G P4 with 512M RAM and XP, but she's starting to fall apart, and ever since I got the iPhone I've been a convert, just haven't made the jump yet.

Anyway, it's a local purchase, try-before-buy affair, so if there's a problem I can verify that before the purchase.

In short, I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm not being completely taken.

Mike

2. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

It just depends on how much you want to spend. You can pick up a new C2D for 575 on Amazon, free shipping no tax. I'd not bother with that one you're looking at for more than 250-300. That's just me.

3. jus407 macrumors member

i wouldn't do it, i would just spend an extra 200 or so bucks to get a brand new one i think thats pretty high for those specs

4. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

Get to the refurb store early

You'd be better off getting a refurbished mini. You just have to check the Apple store early.

The 1.83 Core Duo w/super-drive (late-2006 model) can be had for $479
    The 1.83 Core 2 Duo w/combo drive can be had for $499
    The 2.0 C2D is $679.

Anyway, just pay attention to the specs carefully, as they have all manner of models up at any given time--don't want to end up with a core-solo ;)

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's not a bad price. I've seen people trying to sell G4s for over $400. If you could get the seller to knock it down, that would be great but with the superdrive and two gigs of ram it's not a bad deal.

6. mitsu13gman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your input.

While I agree that the $300 mark would be nice (and possible, depending on location), this is a gentleman just down the street who is willing to demo the unit vs. buying unseen from an online seller and dealing with possible scams. I really haven't seen much in the marketplace here in the Maine area.

I genuinely appreciate that the refurbs are are good deal, but I've still got to throw in the memory and the DVI-to-VGA adapter, which is included here. Of course, I've could factor in the cost of the Leopard upgrade at some point in the future, but it's not critical for the use I'm intending in the short term anyway.

I'll go give it a look and see how it runs. If it seems poorly taken care of or what have you, I'll simply decline to buy.

Thank you all again for your assitance.

Mike

7. munckee macrumors 65816

Honestly it seems pretty decent to me. I wanted to get an intel mini for as little as possible. Found a 1.5 core solo for $350 and felt pretty good about it.

On craigslist here in NYC, the G4 minis still go for well over $400.

8. ramlax13 macrumors member

where do you see the 1.83 CD w/Super-drive for $479? Right now on the apple store the 1.66 CD w/Super-drive is $649

9. mitsu13gman thread starter macrumors newbie

WHOA!!! I hadn't seen that before.

Okay - NOW I feel quite a bit better about the deal.

I'm headed to check it out in about an hour, so hopefully all is well and I'll have something to do during tomorrow's storm.

Besides work from home, I mean... ;)

10. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

The core solos for that ridiculous price are always the last to go. Even they get sold, though. The stock varies daily, and you need to check early for the best deals.

Attached Files:

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Just wanted to say that the CD 1.66 mini with 2GB of RAM was my first Mac, too. I love it :D It runs 24x7 doing a number of things, including hosting all my music and photos (backed up to an external, of course). They're very capable machines.