$400 macbook pro difference worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ppmov46, Oct 15, 2008.

1. ppmov46 macrumors newbie

I have 3 options:
    Low end mbp
    High end MacBook
    Refurb mbp

I really want a big screen; that's the thing. From MacBook to MacBook pro.. Just for 2 inches and vid card? Same quality? I really like new things.. Refurb is good deal but ehh... HELP!

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Why not low end MacBook? It's the same machine as the high end one but it has a SLIGHTLY slower processor and its keys don't glow. I don't see why people aren't going for this model, it's much better value for money.

3. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I have the same dilemma. I don't want last gen because I really like the new trackpad. I am torn between high end MB and low MBP because of the screen. I just can't imagine using a 13" when I sometimes think my husband's 15" laptop seems small after looking at my work monitor all day long. I'm leaning toward spending the extra cash for the MBP.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

And more cache, expresscard slot (wireless), & firewire. Best bang for the buck though are the clearanced out last gen MBPs, new at refurb prices.

5. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Agreed - the previous generation MBP are quite a good deal.

6. ppmov46 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah... But I am in love with new model. I don't want a refurb, I'll pay for coolness. BUT, since this MBP is new and untested, will it be a faulty beta revision??? The last mbp was fixed so much, yet this is new. What about that?

7. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Hopefully it won't have the problems as before. This is new casing, but not a new processor overhaul. New graphics card; by now the kinks should be mostly worked out ::crosses fingers::

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Again I repeat my advice - go for the 2.0GHz model.

9. iphoner2010 macrumors member

:apple:this is the ONLY reason I would ever buy a PC over a mac. This question is so hard because, personally, I could deal with the 13" model if it had firewire, better graphics, and other stuff MPB had. On the opposite side, I don't need all of the extra stuff the MBP has packed into it. Apple needs to offer more customization so I can buy exactly what I want/need. I think they would get many more buyers that way.

10. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

That's a debate that goes around quite a bit. And that's my quandary too - if only graphics, other stuff MBP had... Still, it is what it is. Consider your usage habits and preferences and go from there.

11. scottintosh macrumors member

I agree with that. While I do appreciate the simplicity of the product line, the lack of customization is kind of painful.