$400 MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) - Good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubeexperience, Jul 19, 2016.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

So I have someone contacted me and offered to sell me his MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) for $400.

He told that some keys don't work because of a liquid spill, but otherwise, it functions normally.

I thought it's no big deal because I just have to replace the keyboard.

...so he brought it over and the screen has staingate

Anyway, I told him that I have to think about it.

I thought about asking for a lower price since after replace the keyboard, I am going to have to bring it to Apple to have the screen replaced.

I also thought about forgetting the whole thing.

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

Will Apple freak when they see the liquid damage that likely shows on the logic board?

3. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't think Apple would care since it just has to replace the screen, but who knows.

It also seems to be a bit of work on my part.

4. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I know that the MBP has water indicators. I remember having read on this forum that someone (do not remember who) had a MBP with these are triggered and Apple would not repair it for some other fault unrelated to the logic board without also changing the logic board. So based on that, I am pretty sure Apple do not want to replace the screen without also replacing the logic board.

I do not have personal experience with this, so bear that in mind. But you could try to give Apple a call and ask about if they will repair it or not. That might give you a better indicator of whether it is worth it or not.

5. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

You could just use that like a Mac mini, hook an external monitor along with keyboard and mouse. With water damage, electronics will fail out of the blue. But if you're in need of a spare laptop and have the $$ to spare, go ahead.

6. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

I know they do. They are actually called "Liquid submersion indicators" LSIs.

This must be an easy way for Apple to cheat customers out of repairs that they are eligible for.

I definitely will do that.

I already have another 15" Early 2013. I am considering repairing and selling this one.

I will, of cause, give the logic board a very through cleaning before selling.

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

No this is Apple covering their behind. Someone could get the screen repaired and claim issues post-repair putting Apple in a difficult situation.

8. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

If I was in your position I wouldn't buy it. Considering the laptop has been liquid damaged there is no knowing how long it will last. You could replace the keyboard and have the logic board fail the next day. The damage to screen coating is covered by Apple but if they find any triggered indicators they won't repair anything without replacing the logic board.

9. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Honestly, this is none sense. Replacing the display assembly doesn't have any effect on the logic board at all whatsoever.

Also, Apple can just give me the replacement display assembly and I can replace it myself, but Apple is disincline to do that for some reason.

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand how the world works. Keep it ignorant.

11. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

How so?

12. CE3, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016

CE3 macrumors 6502a

Nonsense?

The liquid damage was obviously extensive enough to render the keyboard from being fully functional, so it's certainly sensible to speculate that other internal components may have been damaged and eventually fail as well.

ETA: or maybe you're just referring to Apple's repair policies being nonsense? If so, that's another topic altogether, and a $400 laptop isn't worth the battle. I would pass on it.

13. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Why don't you just replace the screen yourself....They are gonna charge you 500+. You could get one on eBay for probably around $200 and it's a incredibly easy repair....(make sure you get the whole assembly not just the lcd)

14. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I would pass on the laptop. Staingate + liquid damage.. just seems like this particular machine attracts a poor experience.

15. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

If there's only a small spill, the back-lit would prevent the liquid from reaching the interior.

I did not have a pentalobe screwdriver with me so I was unable to open and look inside.

And yes, Apple's policy is stupid.

I do know how to change the display. I just don't want to pay $200 for something that should be replaced for free.

That is something I think about.

16. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Maybe I missed something but why would it be replaced for free? Are you not out of warranty. Changing the display is literally 6 screws and 2 cables latches...takes like 10 minutes.

17. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

The display should be replaced for free out-of-warranty because staingate is a known issue.

I can change the display myself and have done so many times, but I am not willing to pay for something something that should be free.

18. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Without opening the computer there is no way to guarantee that the liquid didn't reach the logic board. It really doesn't make much difference how big or small the spill was. It's a rather bad idea to just assume that the board is fine.

Also Apple's policy is not stupid at all. Apple gives a 90 day warranty on service which covers the whole machine. If they replaced the screen and the logic board failed a month later they would be liable to repair it at their cost even though the liquid indicators were triggered before the screen was replaced.

Apple will replace parts at the customers cost if they show accidental damage before doing anything else to cover themselves from repercussions that could take place after service if the damaged part/s were left in the machine.

19. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Sorry I misread that as I can't fix the display...and wow they issued a warranty claim on stain gate but not ****ing burn in...im sorry but the burnin was a bigger issue...I know it's cliche but since Job passed the company really is loosing me in both innovation and quality control.