$400 too cheap for a late 2008 MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Keeferton, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Keeferton macrumors member

I just listed my MacBook for sale on Craigslist for $400 and it sold within the first hour of being up there. The screen is loose and there are scratches on the bottom yet it sold that quick.

I got this thing the day they released the unibody and the only upgrades are 4g of ram. Honestly I thought I was asking a lot but maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

2. richiez, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

richiez macrumors member

i ended up selling my 13" macbook 2ghz c2d alu unibody with 4gb and no hd (they didn't want to pay for the SSD I had in there) for $550. you probably could have gotten more but still the retained value is amazing even at $400 after 3.5 years

3. Himecchi macrumors member

Don't know how reliable this is but I used this site when trying to figure out how much to sell my Mid 2009 MacBook Pro for
    http://www.mac2sell.net/

Said $900 for me.

4. strausd macrumors 68030

Check the Apple recycling program to get a basic idea. Of course, they are going to low ball you, but it is worth a start.

Also, have you checked other craigslist adds as well as eBay to see what others are going for?

EDIT: Mac2sell is definitely a better starting point than Apple's recycling program.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Sounds a tad low, I see lots on eBay for $500-$600. Guess it depends on the specifics of the condition.

Even though it's an older machine, the unibody design still looks like a premium laptop. :)

6. Keeferton thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info guys. It's crazy how well these things hold value after so long. I think the wifi card may be going also. The wifi turns off randomly and I have to restart the computer 1 or 2 times before it works again. I told the guy I can't let it go until I have my new rmbp in hand and I could pull out but 400 sounds reasonable if good conditioned ones are going for 500

7. strausd macrumors 68030

I made the mistake of putting mine up on craigslist the day I ordered mine. The next morning, I already had 2 offers. I had to turn them all down because I could not go a month without a laptop.

8. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I will probably put my 2008 unibody 15" Pro for sale for about $750-850 on ebay. These things definitely retain value, given that I paid about $2100 for it over 3 years ago. Yet, it is still a great machine, it just isn't fast enough for me anymore!

9. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69