$400, What can I get??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chefhow, Oct 21, 2008.

1. chefhow macrumors newbie

So I tried to buy a Mini and an iMac and both times have either been beat to the punch(mini) on Craigslist or got scammed(iMac) on eBay. I have $400 to spend and want a Mac. I dont have a monitor but I have been looking at older G4 Power Macs and trying to find a local used Mini. I am hesitant to buy a Mac on eBay just because of the shipping/breaking/scam/cant see it before I buy it factor. My question is....

What can I expect to be able to get for between $350 and $400 and what should I look for in that price range? I realize its not alot but I am in a bind and dont have anymore $$$ than that to spend, tight budget and my PC took a crap.....Help is GREATLY appreciated.

2. G5power macrumors 6502

For $400 or less on Craigslist you can find any of the G4 Mini's and might find an earlier Intel Mini.

The same dollar range will get you most any of the late model G4 Power Macs and probably leave money for upgrades like RAM or drives. You will see the deluded people listing for much higher, but if you are near a major city there will be plenty of decent G4's to pick from. I would recommend that you get at least a 1 GHz system since they will give you a better user experience. Also the later models will support larger IDE hard drives and use RAM that is still in-expensive.

It's not unusual to see 17 inch CRT's being given away or sold for a nominal amount like $5 so that is not an issue.

You can also look at the iMacs but they tend to list for a higher price and you might not find the value for your money.