4000$ mbp performance problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lolzok, Jul 5, 2011.

1. lolzok macrumors newbie

Hi there everyone,

I bought a 17" mbp from the early 2011 line up as soon as I could. The specs are:

2.3 gHz i7 processor
    8 gb ram
    512 gb SSD
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1Gb DDR3 ram
    Windows 7 64-bit

I honestly don't know if I'm having a problem or not. What I find weird is just that whenever I run something as a flash video on my machine in Boot Camp the fans go crazy and the mac becomes quite hot. It doesn't in Mac OS however. I realize that the machine isn't able to use the integrated graphics in Windows, but still...a flash video? Also, at all times almost 2GB of ram are in use. This is my task manager as of now:

http://imgur.com/uWUIc

My Windows experience index, in my opinion, isn't that great either - especially not the disk transfer speed considering I have an SSD. Not that it matters that much but I thought it might be an indication of a problem:

http://imgur.com/1XnPm

Last but not least I play World of Warcraft and get an average of about 37 fps with the following settings. If you're wondering why shadow quality is set to fair, it's because:

http://imgur.com/Hxu1Y

Is 37 fps on average what I can expect? I know it's native resolution and high settings I'm just curious since the mbp's fans go crazy just playing a flash video.

Thanks in advance!

2. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

Don't worry, after all it is Windows. :) Just place your MBP on a surface where air can flow in and out of the fans. I don't think anything is wrong with your machine. The WEI is rated from entirely crap to amazingly fast and awesome also, and IMO 6.8 out of 7.9 is pretty darn good.

3. mdnz macrumors regular

Your Windows scores are fine... if you want to get a real high score for disk transfer rate you need to place a few SSDs in a RAID configuration.

As for World of Warcraft, turn down multisampling because that is usually the culprit for low FPS, also, turn down shadows.

4. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

You went with the Apple's OEM SSD eh?

Most decent SATA IIs (intel, ocz, crucial, samsung) hit 7s easily, SATA IIIs all max out the 7.9 scale.

5. lolzok thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah all right thanks guys! I'll try and turn down multisampling and shadows already are down. Good to know that nothing's wrong with the machine :)

Yea I went with the Apple SSD which in hindsight wasn't the wisest decision. I'm not much for opening up my laptop so I figured it would be the easiest way to get the SSD and the performance wouldn't be that much different. Should have gone with an Intel, though. In my opinion anyways. Well, too bad for me, right ;)